Chapter 25 - Struggle to Snuggle

Kaleth flipped onto his back again and groaned. Alexa had gone to town with her parents again, and left him here to die of boredom. She relaid the salt lines before she left to ensure Ramona could not enter. Then she ordered them to stay put and just left. Kaleth watched Pitch roll around on the floor with his paws in the air. Alexa had been acting strange the last couple of days. It had mostly started the day she had passed out in the lair. She had walked across the salt barrier just fine so the ghost couldn't be possessing her. He still thought this had something to do with the ghost. Ramona had been getting braver and trying to get past the salt but had yet to succeed. Alexa kept the cast iron frying pan tucked behind her bed just in case.

Alexa wanted to help the ghost move on but Kaleth didn't think the was anything they could do to help her. Pitch had stopped rolling on the carpet and was watching him curiously.

"What do you want?" He asked. Pitch's vivid blue eyes blinked at him a couple times before the feline climbed up onto the bed with him. He scowled as Pitch made himself comfortable. Then Pitch pushed his feet against Kaleth's back, and pushed him right off the bed. Kaleth growled as he climbed back up off the floor. His first reaction was to attack the cat. But he stopped short. He couldn't even fight with the cat. He glared at it and climbed back onto the bed. There was no way he'd let the cat kick him out. If he wanted to sit on Alexa's bed he would. The cat didn't have any special privileges saying it was his spot, he just happened to spend more time in Alexa's bed. Kaleth climbed over the cat and sat near the wall with a triumphant grin.

"Try to get me out now." Kaleth taunted, Pitch made a weird half meow half purr noise and stood up. He wrapped his paws around Kaleth's torso and pulled him down. Kaleth fought but this human body was a lot lighter than his dragon form, or even his winged form. The big cat knocked him down and proceeded to sit on him. He growled and tossed the cat off with a mighty heave. The cat still didn't move off the bed. He glared at the stupid cat. Pitch laid his ears back and hissed back. Kaleth moaned and flopped back onto the bed. Why was he stuck here with the cat? Pitch flopped down next to him and he rolled away, to stare at the wall. The bed smelled like Alexa and he didn't want to move. He remembered when the ghost had walloped him and he'd woken up next to her. How could he forget that amazing night, even if it had drove him nearly insane. He inhaled deeply and stretched. He doubted Ramona would leave the property so Alexa was safe. He had a lovely wall of salt protecting him from sneak attacks, and a very comfortable and nice smelling bed to sleep on. Before he knew it he was out like a light. 

 Alexa jogged up to her room. She hadn't expected to be in town so long and she felt bad for having locked Kaleth up for so long. She had told him to stay put out of concern for his safety. She hadn't thought of it as a command that would leave him there for the whole day. She stopped and stared in surprise when she opened her bedroom door. Kaleth and Pitch were both asleep which made sense. They had been here doing absolutely nothing all day, Kaleth hadn't been sleeping much as he was still wary of Ramona and Pitch always seemed ready for nap time. Neither one of them were injured and or harmed either. They were both on her bed and Pitch had his paw draped across Kaleth's chest. She giggled quietly to herself and she shut the door. When the latch clicked Kaleth's eyes shot open. He sneered as he shoved Pitch away. Pitch clung, scraping his claws into Kaleth's shoulder and Alexa giggled harder.

"Nice bro snuggles." She said, once Kaleth had finally climbed to his feet. Kaleth shot her a dirty look as Pitch took his time stretching and yawning. Then he slowly padded over to her and rubbed his head against her hip. She leaned down to scratch behind his ears and he headbutted her in the chest. She kissed him on the forehead before standing up straight again. Pitch rubbed her leg with the length of his body before returning to the bed. Alexa looked to Kaleth who was still scowling. She grinned and plopped onto the bed next to Pitch

"So I guess you two made friends." she said. Kaleth's scowl deepened and he shook his head.

"Of course not. I just fell asleep and he... " he trailed of, but glared at Pitch who hissed back. Alexa sighed and pushed Pitch away from where she was sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Why is it so hard for you two to get along?" she asked. Kaleth shrugged and Pitch just blinked at her with his azure eyes. She sighed and got up to open the balcony doors. She figured Kaleth probably wanted to go out if he'd been cooped up all day. Wind whistled through the open door and the crashed against the wall noisily. Alexa looked up to see Ramona. She grinned and the icy winds blasted into the room.

"Thanks." Ramona said as she stepped into the room and immediately locked on her target. Kaleth stared at her slightly surprised. Alexa had salted the balcony doors. Ramona shouldn't have been able to get in. He prepared to fight, but soon recalled that she was already dead so there wasn't a lot he could do to hurt her. Alexa was still staring in shock. Ramona advanced on Kaleth, firing off bursts of magic. Alexa watched helplessly. Kaleth managed to fend off most of the damage but soon enought she'd find a break in his defence and he would be done for. Ramona stopped for a moment.

"How long can you fight me off dragon?" she asked. Kaleth scowled at her and Alexa watched a ball of fire grow in his hands. Ramona's eyes lit up.

"It's going to be that kind of fight?" she asked. Kaleth's eyes widened as she created a ball of ice in her own hand. She threw it at him and he had to dodge to avoid injury before carefully tossing his.There wasn't a lot of room inside to fight without damaging Alexa's things which he had been ordered not to. When she dodged his he moved in front of Alexa. Ramona had yet to make any threats to Alexa but he wanted to make sure she stayed safe. Pitch gave a feral snarl at the ghost and she frowned at him. 

"You've gotten stronger since then but I'm still stronger now." she said confidently. Alexa grinned proudly but Pitch was still just her kitten as far as she was concerned. Kaleth growled too and she was glad to see the two of them getting along. Maybe it was their connection to her that had brought them closer. They both wanted to protect her no matter what. She was happy with whatever had made the change in them. The ghost smirked and floated over to sit on the desk.

"So you really want to fight me?" she asked. Alexa shrugged.

"I will order them if I must." she said with a frown. Kaley glanced at her for a second but did not want to take his eyes off Ramona. Pitch snarled again, baring his fangs. The ghost giggled.

"The little kitty sounds angry." she said with a pout. Pitch snarled again before turning around to walk behind Alexa. She sighed at the cat, some good he was. Kaleth made sure to stay between her and Ramona as the ghost burst out laughing. Apparently Pitch's reaction had amused her. She focused back on Alexa and Kaleth.

"I'll get to him when I'm done with the dragon." she said. Alexa ducked as something black flew across the room and went through Ramona. She shrieked and disappeared in a cloud of mist.

Alexa blinked around the room in surprise. Sitting in the balcony doorway was the frying pan. She turned around to see Pitch padding back up to her and her eyes widened.

"You threw that at her?" she asked. Pitch purred and rubbed up against her leg. She gave in and started scratching behind his ears again. Kaleth was staring at him as if he were actually impressed. He stepped over to the balcony door, picked up the frying pan and hefted it a couple times. Alexa stared, she had forgotten all about the frying pan. She had been concentrating this entire time on finding a magic to fight the ghost when all she needed was the frying pan. Kaleth flopped to her bed, seemingly stunned

"Good job Pitch." Alexa said scratching his cheeks like he loved. She sat on the bed beside Kaleth. He held the frying pan up for her to take and she sat it up on her headboard. That would be interesting to explain to her parents but at least it was handy in case of emergencies.

"She's getting stronger every day." Kaleth said with a serious frown. Alexa rolled her eyes and nodded.

"What are we supposed to do about that?" she asked. Kaleth considered for and moment before shaking his head.

"I don't know." he said unhappily