Chapter 20- Dragon on the Defense

Alexa struggled to get her brand new steel toed boots on. Patrick was going to try going for a ride today. The horse had been coming along by leaps and bounds. Patrick had been working with it every single day. She had to admit her lazy little brother had finally put his full effort into something and it was quite amazing to see. The horse now came running to greet them when they approached the fence. Except Kaleth of course. The horse wasn't stupid and it knew he wasn't to be trusted. Whether it knew his previous crimes or it smelled predator on him she couldn't say. Patrick had dug through the barn to uncover a saddle and had been putting it on the horse to get it used to the idea. Today he wanted to climb on and see how far she would take him. Alexa had volunteered to help out so now she was going to just lead the horse around with him on it's back. Kaleth knew not to follow when it had anything to do with the animals and she gently reminded Pitch he would be more of a hindrance than a help and told him to stay in her room. She jogged down the stairs two at a time. She jogged across the yard to where Patrick was standing with the horse by the gate to the pasture. She held the rope as Patrick climbed into the saddle. The horse laid it's ears back but didn't seem too bothered otherwise. Once Patrick was comfortably situated Alexa slowly lead the horse away from the fence. She seemed a little nervous at first, unaccustomed to carrying anyone on her back but followed Alexa. Patrick produced a carrot from no where and passed it to Alexa to feed the horse. After seeing the carrot she seemed to forget all about Patrick sitting on her back.

"She doesn't seem to mind too much." Alexa observed. Patrick grinned, and sat up a little straighter.

"I looked a lot of info up on the internet. It said to slowly build them up to it and that's what I've been doing." he said. Alexa grinned proudly. After a couple circles near the gate and barn Patrick motioned for her to hand him the leads. She handed them over and he grinned steering the horse around the pasture. Alexa climbed up onto the fence to watch. He brother spent the better part of an hour riding the horse before deciding she'd had enough. He rode her up to the fence and Alexa grabbed hold of the leads as he climbed off. He took the horse from her and they headed into the barn to groom her. Patrick expertly removed the saddle. He hung it over one of the empty stalls and grabbed one of the ropes on either side of the aisle. He'd explained to her last time she was out they were called cross ties and they were used to keep the horse still while you groomed it. He hooked the two ropes to the horse's halter then grabbed two brushes he handed one to Alexa and they got to work.

"So what do you plan to do with her once you have her all trained?" Alexa asked. Patrick just shrugged. 

"I don't know, go riding. That's what she's supposed to be used for right." he said. Alexa nodded quietly and continued brushing. They were quiet for several minutes before Patrick broke the silence.

"The ghost came out again last night." he said quietly. Alexa's eyes widened. The ghost had made several more appearances since she had her last flashback dream. It still hadn't spoken to her but always had something to say to Patrick. She stayed silent waiting for him to continue. She was left waiting longer than she expected and she wasn't sure if he was going to elaborate. Finally he cleared his throat.

"She said the dragon obeyed your commands." he said quietly. Alexa stared in amazement. The ghost had ratted her out. She had to bluff her way out of this if she didn't want her parents to here about it. 

"I think it's damaged somehow. It hasn't spoken to me at all, it just stares. Nothing it says ever makes sense." she said, gagging Patrick's reaction. He stared at her curiously for a moment but seemed to let it go. Alexa knew there was something more, but she had chosen the wrong response and now he didn't feel like sharing. She frowned and turned back to brushing the horse.

"I think the dragon killed her," Patrick said, then added, "Whatever the dragon is." Alexa frowned. Patrick believed in the dragon. His guess that the dragon had killed her was probably correct. She shrugged.