Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Alexa

As I made my way down the stairs and toward the kitchen, I couldn’t keep the smile off of my face. This is it! This is really it! I’m going to kill her and no one will know!

Reaching into the cupboard, I grabbed some crackers. No need to wash my hands, I thought to myself. Liquid laxatives aren’t contagious. I swallowed a laugh and took a bite of the cracker.

After finishing the snack, I washed out the two glasses I had brought up to my parents this morning. You’re so sweet, Lex, said my mother. ¡Jugo de naranja recién exprimido! Mi favorito, said my father. Correction, I’m the sweetest, I thought to myself with a smirk.

I threw the crumbs into the trashcan and adjusted my ponytail. Biting my lower lip, I thought about something that had been bothering me. I used my phone that night to find the lake… What if Detective Lock pulls my phone records? I mean, I know he needs a warrant if he doesn’t have probably cause… But what if he manages to get one? The thought of that man sending divers into the water where I had hidden the evidence made my blood boil. I’m going to have to go get them and find a new hiding spot. Plus, I’m going to have to come up with a reason for being out there… Ugh! I clenched my hands in anger. How could I have been so stupid? I thought of the rush of adrenaline coursing through my veins that night. Stupid! I’m so stupid! Why didn’t I have a plan?

Chewing on my lower lip, I closed my eyes and sighed loudly.

“Lex?” came Abriana’s voice. “You ready to go?”

“Yeah,” I responded in a sugary sweet voice.

A few moments later, we got in the car and headed to Target.

***

“Do you think we should get them some Sprite too?” asked Abriana.

“Probably a good idea,” I said.

“Sprite, Gatorade, Saltines, and anti-diarrhea medicine,” said Abriana. “Anything else?”

I twirled a piece of hair around my finger. “Do we need anything for this weekend?”

“Maybe some snacks?” said Abriana.

A smile spread across my face. “Good idea. There isn’t-”

Before I could finish, someone clamped their hand on my shoulder and spun me around.

“Abriana?” said a woman with long blonde hair and hazel eyes. “Oh my God! Is that you?”

“I’m Alexa, her sister,” I spat. “What the hell do you want?”

The woman’s eyes went wide and her eyebrows shot up in surprise. “I, I’ve, I’ve, I’ve,” she stammered.

“You’ve what?” I growled.

The woman cowered down. “I saw her on the news. I just wanted to tell you, I mean her, that I’m on her side and that I think that Easton Pierce deserves to die.”

I turned to look at my sister, but she had already left the shopping cart in the middle of the isle and had disappeared.

Spinning back around, a deep scowl formed on my face. “Why do you think Easton Pierce deserves to die?”

The woman stepped back and her eyes went even wider. “Because he kidnapped your sister and he tried to kill her.” 

I crossed my arms. “You think he’s some kind of criminal genius?”