Chapter Twenty-Seven

Alexa

We pulled up to the cabin around noon. I took a long sip of my monster-sized Coke. The sweet carbonated substance slid down my throat and quenched my thirst.

“How did you find this place?” asked Abriana as she eyed up an old wooden sign reading, Half Moon Lake.

I shrugged. “I found it online.”

Abriana frowned and looked around. “It’s pretty secluded.”

Hell yeah it is, I thought with a wicked smile.

“Are there any other cabins on the lake?” asked Abriana.

Forcing a sweet smile, I looked at my sister and tugged on my long braid. “Of course there are!”

Abriana’s brow remained furrowed as she looked around our surroundings.

Walking around the back of the car, I opened the trunk and pulled out one of the bags. “Come on! Let’s get unpacked!”

***

A few hours had passed and we had managed to unpack, blow up two plastic floats, and set out some carrots and dip for a quick snack.

“Want to go to the lake?” I asked.

My sister twisted her ponytail as she looked out the window. “Yeah, that sounds good. We can bring our food down there. I just need to make a drink first.” 

I reached for two cups in the cupboard. “I’ll make the drinks. You go change.”

Abriana threw her arms around my neck. “Love you, Lex!”

I returned the embrace. “Love you too, Bri.”

Abriana continued to squeeze me tightly. “I think this is just what I needed.”

“I’m glad you’re happy. It’s been too long,” I said shooing her away. “Now, go get changed! It’s time to lay out!”

As my sister made her way to the bedroom, I pulled a water bottle partially filled with a red liquid. I licked my lips as I dumped the antifreeze into a large cup. I quickly filled the rest with fruit punch and several ice cubs from the freezer.

I rinsed out the water bottle, added dish soap, and rinsed it out again. That should be good.

Without warning, a hand clamped down on my shoulder and a scream escaped my lips.

“Oops! Sorry,” apologized Abriana. “I didn’t mean to scare you!”

My heart thumped wildly in my chest. “It’s okay.”

“Is this mine?” she asked picking up the drink.

“Yup,” I said with a smile. “Just one more thing…” I pulled out a bottle of vodka. “Wasn’t sure if you’d want any of this?”

Abriana bit her lower lip and tugged on the towel around her neck. “Hmmm… I don’t know, Lex.”

Arching an eyebrow, I gave my sister a playful smile. “Maybe just a little bit?”

She debated it a few more seconds before finally nodded. “Okay, okay. Just a bit though.”

Tipping the bottle, I added about two shots to her drink.

“Whoa! That’s enough,” she said reaching for her cup.

“Sorry,” I said, giving her an apologetic smile.