Chapter Two (Continued)

Abriana

-----

“Wake up,” said a gruff voice.

“Mmmm?” I responded in a groggy voice. What? Where am I? What’s happening?

I felt a hand grab my shoulder and pull me to an upright position. “We’re stopping for the night.”

The reality of the past few hours hit me like a brick. “Mmmm! Mmmmmm!”

He gave a cruel laugh and ripped the tape off of my mouth.

A hot flash of pain spread across my face where the tape had been and a cry escaped my lips.  

“No one is going to hear you scream out here,” he snarled.

My blood turned ice cold and my hands began to shake.

“Please,” I pleaded. “Just bring me home. I won’t tell anyone you took me. I’ll keep it a secret. I promise!”

“Sorry,” he said in a low voice. “Not going to happen.” Without another word, he lifted my body out of the trunk and set me down on a soft carpet of grass.

The cloth covering my eyes left me dizzy and disoriented. Ignoring the spinning sensation, I tried to move, anything to get away from him. Before I could take a single step, I felt his fingers wrap around my arm.

“Not so fast,” he barked.

“Let go of me!” I shouted as I tried to shrug his hand off.

Ignoring my request, he just squeezed harder and pulled me forward. “You can either walk or I can carry you. You’re choice.”

My voice trembled as I blinked back unshed tears, “I’ll walk.”

“Good. This way,” he said, tugging my body forward.

I stumbled as he led me through wet grass that slapped at my ankles. I need to get away. Should I run? Taking a deep breath, I decided it was useless to run while blindfolded.

“Just a little bit further.”

Remaining silent, I tried to listen for signs of the city. Instead, all I could hear were crickets chirping and the occasional frog croak. Where has he taken me? How far away are we from home?

“Step up,” he commanded.

Obeying, I stepped up and felt my foot make contact with a solid surface.

Buzz. Buzz.

Is that his phone?

Answering my question, he mumbled, “Yeah. Uh huh.”

HELP ME!” I screamed.

 “No. It’s nothing. Gotta go. Bye.”

His rough fingertips grabbed me on either side of my mouth. Tears fell as he applied pressure and my teeth cut into the sides of my cheeks. “Don’t pull anything like that again. Do you understand me?”

I nodded as tears soaked the fabric covering my eyes and trickled down my cheeks.

Releasing my face, he let out a snarl that sent shivers down my spine. “Now be a good little girl and don’t pull anymore of this bullshit.”

 *****