Chapter Ten- Hope for the Best

The next day is as boring as any. Lexi acts as if nothing occurred the day before, and Faye and I want to press but decide against it.

Obviously there is some reason Lexi is shutting us out and we need to respect it. My mind is in "la la land" thinking about my art and Max. There is no need to bring in negativity like worry. If she needs us, she'll tell us.

Despite my art homework being finished, I decide to begin working on my own piece that will keep me sufficiently distracted from any
thoughts that want to arise.

                                     September 2
Dear Diary,

Art has always been my sanctuary. Lately though, it's been dredging up some emotions I thought I was doing a better job keeping suppressed.
I'd like to start a new project, one that will successfully keep me distracted.
But I am not yet sure what that will be.
I want it to be big.
By big I mean HUGE!
I want a large canvas where I spend hours focusing on little details of a piece of a larger artwork.
That would be perfect.

Brooke.

"Qu'écris-tu si sérieusement?" Max surprises me in the common area.

"Ah!" I jump up, not expecting him to be there. "Nothing."

I close my journal and slide it into my back pack. There's no need for him to know just yet.

"You ready for dinner?"

"Dinner already?"

Wow time must have flown by! When I sat down it was just after classes.

"Oui! I came to get you. Thought we could maybe go together."

Max has been gaining a lot of confidence when speaking to me. He's still a bit timid and shy when it comes to things of romantic nature, but he's doing a lot better.

Max isn't the type of guy to suddenly just fall comfortable with a girl. Sure we were good friends before we got together, but even then there was a sense of restraint.

From what I gather, he grew up in a very restraint oriented home. His father was a world class pianist and reveled in his commendations, something his mother urged him not to do. She taught him humility but to the point where he became almost meek. He became someone who didn't often express his desires, and remained quiet on the sidelines.

If I can give him anything from our relationship, I hope it is a voice.

"Thanks cherie. I would love to go together." I smile at him, enjoying the pink tint that spreads over his face when I do.

Faye is already there but Evan and Lexi are nowhere to be seen.

I'd assume Evan is off flirting at another table normally, but I don't hear any love-strewn girls calling after him so he must not be here.

"Did you guys hear? Jolie had a bitch fit in one of her classes today. Claimed someone stole her water bottle." Faye updates us on the latest gossip.

"Who would be interested in doing that?" I laugh.

"I think Chester did, he loves watching her squirm." Faye says.

We aren't the only ones who aren't a fan of Jolie. She's made a lot of enemies with her jealousy and competitive nature.

"Waste of time." Max rolls his eyes, then picks up the book he had in his back pocket to read.

"Is Lexi okay?" I inquire on the well being of our friend. Maybe she noticed something today I didn't.