CHAPTER 21: The Ray Of Hope

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ 21 ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

       EVERYONE SCAMPERED BACK on their tasks and Jack is at the helm with the compass. The crew didn't know about the painting yet nor knowing where we are heading to. We are in a good mile away, the Black Pearl cuts across the waves. We're in the open ocean. I huddles in the far corner of the railings, withdrawn.

       Before I continue examining the painting, I fixed my gaze out at my surroundings to cherish this moment while I'm in the ship — a real pirate ship. Then I stared out into the horizon and up in the serene sky admiring the most of it. I'm just quite chuffed that I finally have the painting in my hand again.

       The scars in my both palm is still stinging but it's quite better now than yesterday. Just before I prayed not to get involve in this situation but frankly, I found it's fun and exciting.

       Actually, my urge to return home had subsided sometimes. Perhaps I could stay here for awhile? Oh no, don't! What makes I think I'm worthy to crew on the Black Pearl? Again, I'm not belong here and I'm not supposed to be here. I cannot stay. I can't.

       The fun is over. It's already the end part of the movie and yet I'm still here. I'm still inside of the movie. All I would have to do was going back home.

       I didn't even know how. I'm not sure how the painting works and I didn't know where we headed now. The painting only gave a small hints; such sort of a navigational glyphs in the back side of the painting. We weren't sure if the glyphs is leading to a direction.

       It took me a while to inspect closely the oil canvas and to recognize it. It's obscured by the abstract style. Perhaps it's the picture of a living room, I thought. The room where I am from in the first place. But why is it so abstruse?

       Now we tried to chart a course relying on Jack's compass and I have every faith in their reconciliatory navigational skills.

       "Steady as she goes." I said quietly, gazing towards the horizon.

       The Pearl is at course by Jack's command. Miles of empty ocean all around, neither ship nor shore in sight. I really have no idea where we headed to.

       " —It's no good." Jack said glumly, he's now examining the painting. "Why are these things never clear?"

       I looked around, wondering. I was caught-off guard. "What? Is it not leading to a direction?"

       Jack didn't answer my queries. He flipped his compass closed, placed the painting down and grinned at me instead. "You know what, luv? Stay here for awhile. Hardly appropriate for a companion. We will sail beyond the sunset. You and me. Together."