3

1 Month Later.

"DeAndre Jakare Carter." The guard called.

"Right here." Dre responded after coming to the door of his cell to retrieve his mail for mail call.

After retrieving his mail, Dre returned to his bed and immediately smiled after rubbing the envelope across his nose, smelling the scent of his Aubree Milan Santiaga, even from the inside. It was her favorite Tiffani's fragrance. The letter felt as though it had a little more weight on it than usual so Dre hurriedly opened it, curious to find out exactly what was inside. 

            "Damn." Dre smiled after removing Aubree's letter, along with a pair of red laced underwear. Red was Dre's favorite color, and Aubree knew it.

After clutching them and smelling them, Dre proceeded to read the letter that was covered in Aubree's lipstick kiss marks and her fragrance. After opening the letter, a picture of he and Aubree were inside, along with a nude of her. Dre smiled and proceeded to read the letter.

 Dre smiled and proceeded to read the letter

Dre smiled, after pinning Aubree's letter to his wall, and placing her underwear and naked picture in his secret hiding place. Since the incident Dre had been bunked in the cell with an inmate of a much lesser offense. However, the other inmates made certain to stay away from him when it came to any drama; especially after they noticed that Dre returned back to the yard and Omar never did. In a way, Dre earned his respect, but he was not out to please anyone on the inside. His only mission was to stay safe, do his time, and go back home to his family, where he belonged.

            "Yo," James, Dre's new cellmate called from the top bunk while Dre pinned the picture of he and Aubree up on the wall by the mirror."Can I read the letter?"

            "I got you." Dre said as he retrieved the letter after sitting back down on his bed, passing it up to James. Dre never had any issues out of James. He always stayed in his space, and place, and he was always humbled. Dre could tell that he was obviously a victim of some right place, wrong time shit much like him.  However, he had no doubt that James was soft. After all, dude was in here for the alleged murder of two people. However, the two were big on respect and principle, and for that reason, they understood each other.

            "That's dope." James stated, wiping his face so that Dre couldn't see.

However, he did. It was almost flabbergasting to Dre that someone like James would actually be crying, or smiling.

            "That was cool man," James started, "You got love on the outside, looks like she's a real rider too. Keep her close."

            "Oh I'm already on it." Dre nodded, "I refuse to let her go anywhere or for anybody. Sometimes you just know wit people dude, and she's somebody that I've never had to go through loops with. She always kept it real, and always expected real in return. Her presence man, her presence is something so serious. Nigga like me feel at ease with her, even since a jit. It's foolish not to honor her loyalty. Besides, I live a life full of whips and chains...jewelry and clothes, bitches, it all changes. But she...she remains the same no matter the cost, season, or who's around."

            "I wish I had a love like that. My girl, when she was my girl, she played me... Her name was Marie. She had me looking real stupid too." James slowly opened up, "I went homeless, she opened her house to me, got me close with her family, and then she up and stopped coming around. She knew I had a temper, she knew I had no money, so I'm thinking I gotta keep it cool, but I gotta get some money coming cause her little brother was younger than me and had his trap doing numbers.. So I went to some people I know...got straight. Left town for a week to go re-up, came back, to her telling me shit doesn't feel the same with me anymore and that she wasn't happy. Crazy thing is, entire time I'm doing all I can do just to get her to notice me again...couple days later, I found out she had been a relationship with a female for like 3 weeks. I never knew she was a lesbian. Shit, come to find out, the chick was her ex."

            "Damn, so what happened with her peeps?" Dre questioned, sensing that James was really messed up behind this.

            "I love her mama to death. She was real with me. Until this day she doesn't know the truth about how Marie scarred me. She prolly just thinks I went ghost. Truth is, Marie wanted her to have her cake and eat it too. Wanted to keep me under her folks' roof, while she was out dogging me...wanted to mind fuck me and make me feel guilty for things I had done in the past in order to cover up her trail of lies...So I left, headed to Cali. I had one family member there, treated me like shit...so as a man I decided to finally put my foot down, I couldn't keep being handled all because I had nothing. So from there I just left. 2 days straight I slept in the train station, no food, no nothing. Then one day I got up, cleaned up, walked to the nearest studio, and ended up linking with some coca dealers... From then on, the money came, but they ended up putting me in a position that went bad. As a result, I shot 2 niggas. One in the head, other in the chest...Now I'm here. That love shit, fucked me over and I messed up my life falling for words...That's why I don't talk much. Shit if it's not you, I don't talk at all. Even when I was arrested, I just...surrendered. No words, no lawyer request...Just sat there, so they trialed me as an adult, and brought me here. Crazy thing is, I never worried about no court cases, no nothing, whole time, I sat... thinking about how the person who told me they would never hurt me, caused me to be damaged even more than I already was...and how I allowed my heart to control me, instead of my brain... And they wonder why men are logic, and women are feelings. She probably out ruining the next motherfucker life now and I'm here, sixteen years old, never to see the outside again." James spoke, lifting his head up, starring at the night sky.

"This entire time I thought you were older... I never knew you were 16." Dre replied. "And I thought I had it bad. You'll be good though man. Karma's a bitch and when she comes, nothing can stop her but her."

With that being said, Dre retrieved a pencil, and piece of paper, and began writing his response to Aubree. After what he just had just been told, Dre knew that he was blessed. He was blessed to be the person that he was, and to have Aubree by his side. He couldn't imagine not responding to the lady that he had waiting back at home for him.

After reading those last words all Aubree could do was smile and pray that this would hurry up and end. She wanted her baby back. She wanted a family; her family.