Tint of Blue

Tint of Blue

Ace Card

I sat hunched over my desk back at my warehouse, blowing off my weekend homework to try and work on a replica of Batman’s and Robin’s grappling hooks and boomerangs. So far, I had dented pieces of metal and nothing more.

The raven, that called the warehouse its own as well as mines, was perched at the edge of the table, watching intently what I was doing. I steadied my fingers around the burner as I pulled the mask down in front of my face, shaping the metal to form a raven with its wings spread wide, the tips of the wings dagger sharp.

            “We’re finally getting somewhere, Jerry.” I beamed at the bird, the raven cocking his head to the side at the sound of my voice. He crowed as he flapped his wings once, his large blue eyes staring me down. I pulled off the mask and held up my personalized weapon up to the light, admiring my handy work.

            “All units, homicide reported on the corner of Sarles Avenue and Montgomery Drive,” the police radio I had hooked up rang. I grinned to myself as I ran to my wardrobe, suiting up and racing out on my bike, a haunting feeling washing over me as I sped into the city, catching sight of several police cruiser sirens.

The roaring of an engine echoed from behind me and I glanced back just long enough to see the unmistakable Batmobile racing through traffic and heading in the same direction as I. Whether he noticed me or not, I wasn’t going to let him be the party crasher once again.

            “Ha, not this time, Bats,” I smirked to myself as I flipped open a hidden compartment on the handle of my bike and pressed the red button, the bike accelerating forward at a speed possibly greater than the Batmobile’s maximum acceleration. In fact, it was so fast that I almost sped right by the apartment that had police cruisers surrounding it and crime scene tape draped over every surface. Slowing down, I pulled into a nearby alley, ditching my bike and helmet and dashing towards the flashing lights.

            “Hello, my scavenging friend,” a cheeky voice chuckled from behind. Within a second, I had spun around with a blade pressed to my assailant’s neck, pinning him against the wall. I looked up at him to see it was Robin, a smile playing his lips.

            “Don’t ever sneak up on me again!” I hissed, pulling my blade back and returning it into my belt. He smiled at me with crossed arms.

            “If Batman catches you here you’re going to be a dead girl,” Robin said, giving me a ‘know-it-all’ look. I rolled my eyes at him before I peeked around the corner at the crime scene before turning back the bird boy.

            “What Bats don’t know, won’t kill him,” I scoffed, returning Robin a look that matched his. “Speaking of, where is the old man?” Robin gave me a knowing smirk and pointed up. Knowing what that meant, I slapped a hand across my forehead in annoyance and looked up just as Batman dropped down from the roof of an apartment and landed just beside Robin, his black cape draped around his body.

            “How the hell can you wear that thing?” I wondered aloud to him, ushering towards his cape. He scowled at me while crossing his arms across his brood chest.