Bye, Bye, Blackbird

Bye, Bye, Blackbird

Ace

My boots padded against the wet concrete as I obediently followed behind Harley and Joker, my hands shoved into the black trench coat I was instructed to wear. The clowns were wearing similar ones as well. While Harley was excitedly skipping, even prancing, now and again, The Joker meandered coolly yet quickly. In his purple-gloved hand, he held a metallic briefcase and I couldn’t help but wonder what could be inside. However, I knew I’d find out soon enough.

Before we had left the old toy factory, where Harley and Joker lived, Joker had given me a shot, one that he injected fluids into my arm. Concealed by my new uniform sleeve, a Band-Aid covered the needle-sized hole.

            It was late at night when we were walking somewhere in the downside of Gotham. Floodlights, if working at all, were flickering and buzzing, ready to give out any moment. While some buildings were in decay, others were inhabited with faint lights and pacing shadows.

We then passed through an eerie alleyway, the pungent stench of trash and urine making my nose wrinkle. It was dark except for a light at the other end, the crazy sound of cars speeding by echoing down the row. As I neared it, familiar sounds came rushing to meet me.

We were in downtown Gotham. I could see the park just across the street and the towering skyscrapers disappearing into the ebony sky just beyond it. But as soon as I stepped out of the alleyway, I knew exactly where we were going.

Gotham Museum.

There was a new exhibit opening about treasures of all kinds. They were going to have several gems and diamonds on display as well as gold. I pursed my lips, thinking about how I really felt about this. It was a museum after all, but gems and jewels meant money, and money meant clothes and food. I could use some food, even some clothes. I could use a lot of stuff, actually.

            The museum came into view, lights flashing out front as well as banners announcing the new glamorous display. Fancy cars like Bentleys and limos were pulled up in front of the marble, stone, and glass building, men and women in fancy dresses and suits climbing out of them. They were all smiling, greeting each other with hugs and handshakes, laughing as they filed into the museum.

            I followed Joker and Harley into the alley beside the museum, discovering a latter that climbed to the roof. I watched in awe as Harley Quinn sprung onto the latter, using windows and ledges as she spontaneously flipped and spun upward towards the top. I followed her lead, using my impressive series of acrobatic stunts to quickly make my way atop. The Joker fell in behind while he nonchalantly climbed up the metal bars.

            On the roof, we pulled out of our coats and discarded them, leaving them resting on the floor. That was when I first noticed that Harley was holding a gun, a revolver it seemed, and she twirled it carelessly around her index finger. Her smile was broad and enthusiastic, white teeth gleaming under the moon. She had this excited yet dangerous glimmer in her eyes.

            When Joker joined us, he pulled a glass cutter from his pocket as well as a switch blade.

            “Let’s get this show on the road, shall we?” Joker grinned, looking from Harley to me as he handed her the glass cutter. She squealed happily as she pranced over to the skylight window, looking in on the gathered billionaires. She pressed the cutter against the window and slowly and carefully began to cut, her attention focused on the job.

            “Oh Ace, dear,” Joker beckoned and I spun towards him, his finger ushering me towards him. “Do you see that beautiful purple stone there?” he pointed to a dark purple gem which was protected inside a glass case. I nodded. “When we go down, I want you to grab it,” he hissed and I nodded with every intention to do so. “Harls will do the rest, won’t you, love?”