Falling Feathers

Sorry for the long delay! Thank y'all for being so patient with me and I really hope this chapter makes up for my very delayed update! 

Happy Readings and Merry Belated Holidays! :)

~Gotham Girl

*************************************************************************************************************

Falling Feathers

Ace

 I was in my room, sitting at my desk, busy picking at some bent metal, trying to shape it into a new weapon. Bud and Lou were lounging on either side of my chair, Lou gnawing on a bone. Since my first day as Harley’s and Joker’s child, almost three days ago, I’ve gotten very accustomed to my boys. I mean, it might sound a little crazy, but Bud and Lou were my little sweethearts.

            “Ace, darling!” Harley’s voice rang, pulling my attention away from my work. I looked back just as Harley Quinn appeared in the doorway, like usual, a black and red smile on her face.

            “Hey, Mom,” I greeted. Over the past day two days that I’ve spent with them, I’ve gotten used to calling Harley and Joker Mom and Dad. Why? Because they’ve treated me more like family than my actual parents did. And don’t get me started on my foster families.

            “So, I was thinking of a girls’ night out, whadya say?” she grinned, her eyes beaming excitedly. “I also wanna introduce ya to Ivy and Cat! They’re gonna love ya!”

            “Ivy and Cat?” I questioned, wondering who they could possibly be when an idea formed at the back of my mind.

            “Ya know, Poison Ivy and Catwoman. They’re ma girls!” Harley beamed. A slight feeling of unease slipped into my stomach and I felt it nervously churn, but I maintained my smile.

            “Sounds like fun,” I replied, thinking that there was nothing better to do. I had, mostly, been sitting in my room, toying with new weapons. The only time I came out was to eat with my new parents or play with the hyenas in the back alley. At my response, Harley Quinn lit up like a Christmas tree. With a high-pitched squeal and excited jump, Harley eagerly grabbed my wrist and yanked me out of my seat, dragging me out the door.

The stars were high in the sky, the moon a sliver of silver on the black canvas looking down on us. Gotham City, or the part Harley and I walked through, was deserted and silent as the grave. No surprise there. What sane person would want to be strolling through the city at night with all of us creeps lurking about?

            The sound of a garbage can getting knocked over sounded from behind us and I spun, three sharp spades already braced between my fingers. Harley kept walking, not startled and unconcerned. With the spades still braced, I continued to fallow Harley, more alert now.

            Ahead of us, a giant glass dome sat, shades green captured inside of it. It was a nursery. Of course it would be, where else would you find a plant-loving super villain? Along the outside of the dome, giant vines webbed the broken glass, thorns here and there warning off any unwanted guests.

            “Lovely,” I muttered, passing a patch of overgrown and mean-looking venus flytraps. I held my stilettos readily, prepared to trim the hedges if they dared to lunge.

            “Wait till you see her big boys,” Harley laughed, barely glancing towards the knee-high killer-plants. She pulled open the pair of glass doors and ushered me through before calling, “Hey, Ivy, ya home?” Her high voice echoed through the nursery, causing mysterious movement out of the corner of my eye.