Ruffled

Ruffled

Bruce Wayne and Richard Greyson

             “Who is she, Mr. Wayne?” Richard asked, both vigilantes unmasked and staring up at the monitor in the Bat Cave, processing a poker card the Joker had left behind. It was the King of Diamonds.

            “A juvenal girl who enjoys getting herself into a lot of trouble,” Bruce replied sternly, attempting to hide his irritation. Rick sighed, not exactly the answer he was looking for. There was something about the girl that was familiar, but she was like nothing’s he’s ever seen before.

            “I mean, do you know who she is?” Dick questioned, gripping the back of Bruce’s chair. Bruce glanced up at him, his fingers pausing on the keyboard for a mere second.

            “No and I’d like to keep it that way. The Raven’s a thief and a young girl whose way over her head.” Bruce ranted, refusing to show any emotion. “But she’s just as dangerous as any of the other villains.”

            “So, does that make me over my head? I mean a young boy fighting crime?” he crossed his arms, daring himself to test the all mighty Bruce Wayne.

            “You’re a different story,” the billionaire claimed, tapping away at his computer. Dick sighed, staring up at the card on the monitor. “Your parents were murdered and you became a crime fighter to make sure that doesn’t happen to others.”

            “Maybe The Raven’s the same.”

            “The Raven resorted to theft and robbery.”

            “And crime fighting.” Dick argued. Bruce spun around in his chair, staring up mysteriously at Boy Wonder.

            “Why are you so interested in The Raven?” he interrogated, narrowing his eyes suspiciously at his sidekick. Before Dick could answer, the computer had finished processing the card and a light beep echoed from the processor.

            “It contains traces of napalm,” Bruce murmured to himself.

            “Explosives?” Dick questioned with a hint of concern. “What would the Joker be using napalm for?”

            “I don’t know, but whatever it is it can’t be good,” he muttered. Just then, Alfred walked into the room and approached the two from behind, towering over Dick.

            “I regret to inform you, Master Dick, but it is indeed past your bed time,” the old butler stated calmly.

            “But-,”

            “Alfred’s right, Dick. You have school tomorrow and I can’t have you falling behind as Robin.” Bruce chimed in, not taking his eyes off the screen as he searched possible targets. Dick sighed as he followed Alfred back towards the elevator that led to the Wayne Mansion.

            “You look bothered, Master Dick,” Alfred glanced coolly down at the teen boy.

            “It’s nothing, Alfred,” Dick responded dully, crossing his arms and looking in the opposite direction defiantly.

            “It’s about a girl, isn’t it?” the elder raised an eyebrow down at Dick, catching the slightest shocked reaction from the boy.

            “How’d you know?” he turned to look at Alfred, his face flushing.

            “I was once a young lad myself, Master Dick. What’s her name?”

            “You were once young?” Dick faked a gasp. “How many centuries ago was that?”

            “Haha, quite funny.” Alfred shot him a stern look. “I know you’re avoiding the topic.”

            “I don’t know her name, Alfred. She’s a masked vigilante that goes by the name The Raven.” Alfred’s eyes widened as he glanced curiously over at Dick, nearly shocked.

            “The Raven? That girl who can’t tell if she’s a hero or a villain?” Alfred paused to think about what he said. “Excuse me, Master Dick.” Dick shrugged it off nonchalantly.

            “Tonight she appeared more ‘hero’ than ‘villain’. She saved several hostages from a burning building.”

            “But she steals and loots and even kidnaps. She once knocked out a police officer,” Alfred said with concern laced around his words. “She doesn’t even know what side of the law she’s on.”

            “Maybe, Alfred, but she may just need help figuring out which side is best.”