Chapter Twenty.

Dan drove slowly past the corner before parking the car close to Jake’s place. He looked around and spotted Jake’s car at the entrance. He gave Jake a confused look. “Your car looks alright.”  

Jake looked out of the window as if he forgot that he had a car. “Yeah.” He shrugged and smiled. “Still can’t drive her though.”

Dan eyebrows rose in a questioning expression. “I see.” He said, feeling slightly awkward.

Jake ignored the eyebrow, at least pretended to. “Wanna come in?” He offered as he undid his seatbelt. “My parents are out.” He added as he stepped out of the car, holding the door open as he fished a cigarette from his pocket.

Dan frowned slightly at the unexpected invitation. He shook his head, aware that Jake couldn’t see him. “ I can’t.” He murmured, knowing it’s the appropriate answer.

“Why not?” Jake asked, lighting up his cigarette. His voice low.

Dan glanced at the time, nearly five. He thought of an excuse, but before he could even start putting one together, he asked, “Why should I?”

Jake inhaled a drag from his cigarette, surprised by the question. Why? He paused before exhaling the smoke away from Dan’s direction. Surely, Dan knew the answer. He shrugged, “Just being civil.”

Dan snorted, but what the fuck had he expected? “That’s new.”

Jake smirked “So, coming?” He said, ducking his head so he could face Daniel.

Dan looked up to meet his eyes, his grin turning serious. He pressed his lips together for a moment, struggling with a wave of emotion. “Yes,” he forced out. “I will.” He fumbled for the key a bit more than necessary.

Jake nodded, the signs of relief ghosting across his face. Good. Perhaps this will be easier than he expected. Dan murmured something, and if Jake hadn’t known better, he’d thought Dan’s hand shook, as he turned the key in the ignition.

Jake turned the other way, inhaling deeply some more of the smoke, “I will be there,” grinning, he threw his half-smoked cigarette onto the ground.

Dan said nothing more, took a very deep breath, then turned his head towards the window and opened the car door. Jenny would disapprove. But before he could process that thought, he pressed the door shut.

Jake opened the door to his home and Daniel followed him inside. He stepped inside and silently closed the door behind him. The house was dark and strangely quiet. Daniel wasn’t sure what to make of it. Jake pressed the light switch on and Dan stood in the entryway while his eyes adjusted to the change. He saw Jake stepping out of his shoes so he did the same.

Jake headed towards the stairs; he stopped in the middle when Daniel didn’t follow. “Coming?” He asked, feared Dan was changing his mind.

Too risky. Too fucking risky. It felt strange to finally enter Jake’s house. It was always too personal. He wouldn’t have dared to invite himself, or Jake for that matter. Emotions had no space in places like these. So why would it be any different now?

“I won’t bite” Jake called out jokingly. He didn’t need Dan to have second thoughts. Not now.

Dan didn't answer except for a small snort. Won’t bite, yeah what the fuck ever. He stepped behind Jake, decided he had gone too far already to return.

Jake opened the door to his room and felt a sickening stab of hot lust, so strong it knotted his guts. Fuck. How he’d wanted Dan even when he’d thought he’d never have him again.