Chapter Five

Jenny was at the park with her younger brother, Joey. Her parents were going out, and they left her alone to tame him. She didn't complain.. much. She was sitting alone waiting for Dan to join her as she watched her brother play with other kids in the sand. Seconds later, a warm hand covered her eyes from behind. 

"About time!" She laughed, tilting her head up to see Dan.

"Sorry, I got us some snacks.''

"Oh did you get me snickers?" Jenny smiled knowing Dan was in a good mood. 

Dan walked around to sit and hand her the snacks. They sat in silence as Jenny ate away the chocolate bar. It wasn't the awkward kind, it was never uncomfortable with them two. Dan liked the fact that he didn't have to start some random conversation with her, it was very chilling. He smiled to himself as he relaxed in his seat, breathing in the fresh air. 

Jenny glanced at Dan for a moment, who gave the smallest of smiles. "Your face looks better." 

Dan gave her a toothy grin, knowing that she was humoring him. It’s been two days since the fight and neither one mentioned it.

"Hey, the swings are empty!" Jenny said enthusiastically running to them. Dan chuckled as he followed her, shaking his head.

He kept his eyes on Joey as he pushed Jenny from behind the swing. Joey was playing 'chase' with another kid, and almost toppled over when he tried to run after him, over- excited. Dan chuckled "Your brother is adorable.''

"That's what everyone says, but this?" Pointing at her face as she slowed her swinging. "is just a mask. Trust me, you don't want to see what's beneath it, got it?"

No, he didn't. He never really did. He was an only child and it saddened him sometimes that he never really understood this sibling bond, but he laughed instead. "He's just a kid."

"That's what I'm saying!'' She laughed, picking up speed again.

Dan's laughter was cut short when he saw Jenny's brother being pushed in the playground. "Shit, Jen, your brother is in trouble." Dan ran to him as Jenny jumped off the swing, right behind him. Joey was crying as the kid he was playing with is now sitting on top of him.  

Jake was at the other side of the playground, lighting a cigarette when a sudden cry interrupted his smoking. He looked up to see Dan and Jenny approach Aden who was sitting on top of a kid. "Shit." Quickly stamping out his unfinished cigarette he hurried to them. 

Jenny pulled her screaming brother from underneath the kid as Dan calmly crouched down to ask the kid what happened, even though the situation was pretty much self-explanatory.

"He was in the way." The kid answered, looking not the least bit sorry. 

"That's not nice." Dan frowned, taking back every innocent thought about kids being nice.

"What the fuck's going on here?" 

Dan's head snapped up to the familiar voice. Of course. 

"What's going on?" Jake repeated, snatching Aden protectively to stand behind him.

Dan slowly stood up, not surprised by the turn of events. "Is this your brother?" Knew the answer but asked anyway, the similarity so clear it can't be missed. The same soft dark hair, light brown eyes that could be mistaken for orange, even the same thin lips. Hell, he could have been the same Jake, only younger. Dan knew he shouldn't be bothered that this information was news to him but he was annoyed he didn't notice it earlier. 

"Yeah, and?" 

"He pushed my brother." Jenny filled in when Dan didn't.

"Well i'm sure your brother did something to make him do that." Jake shrugged. 

"My brother didn't do anything, your brother should behave himself!" Jenny defended her little brother as she wiped the tears off his face.

Jake rolled his eyes. 

"Just let your brother apologize and we'll be on our way." Dan wasn't annoyed with the kid anymore, it was the brother who really got on his nerves.

"I'm not going to make him do anything." 

Jenny felt the tension in the air and immediately pulled on Dan’s arm. “Let’s just go, Dan.”

Dan glanced at Joey who was sniffling, then glared at Jake.

Jake crossed his arms in front of his chest. "Don't make me hurt you, Danny."

Dan mirrored Jake's stance. "I see violence runs in the family." 

Jake acknowledged the shot and smirked. Was Dan challenging him?

Dan dropped his hands as Jenny pulled him back harder. "Come on, Dan, he's not worth it, Dan."

Dan clenched his hands into fists giving Jake a last long stare.

"No, you're right. He's not." With that Dan turned away.