Chapter Twelve

Dan stopped walking when a shadow darkened the corner of his eyes. He looked up to see Jake approach him. Surprised, he took a step backwards. Jake had his arms crossed and his hoodie hid his face. Dan tensed, prepared to counterattack, and took another step back. 

Jake inched closer, saw the person he had been so desperate to have recoil, ready to defend himself. "Chill." Jake didn't take another step, stopped, and tried to convince Dan that he didn't want to fight.    

Dan flinched when he saw the bruise on the other's cheek. He hesitated for a moment before asking: "What do you want?" instead of "What happened?" 

"I just want to talk." Jake said, ignored the wince. He could see Dan judging him, already going through all the options available to them, but he seemed to relax.  

Dan tilted his head, thinking. The words strange and alien. "Talk?"  

Jake gave the smallest of nods, felt exposed and self-conscious. 

Dan looked around, couldn’t see Jake's car, wondered how the hell did he get here, then met Jake's gaze. "I can’t, I’ll be late." 

“Late? For what?” Jake asked, confused.

“Home. I missed my bus.” Dan walked straight ahead, ignoring the disappointed look on Jake’s face, even when his heart stammered in his chest.

Jake followed Dan, knew it wouldn’t be easy to convince Dan. “You took the school bus?”

“Yeah.” Dan kept walking, not looking at Jake. Each step forced, leading him home and away from Jake.

“Cool..” Jake said, with visible tension.

Dan kept the silent attitude with no intent in helping Jake. But Jake stayed, and the silence of walk was weighing Dan down. The sound of laughter turned their heads back, where a couple of students were crossing the road.  “Better take another road, Jake, cause I’m not hiding.”  Dan said, with all the seriousness he could muster.

“I’m not asking you to hide.” Jake shot back, aware of Dan’s annoyance.

“Right.” Dan snorted, and that’s all he allowed himself to say. If Jake wanted to “talk” then he should go ahead and get it over with.

They walked on, each in their own world. Dan feeling frustrated and anxious with every passing minute and Jake feeling lost as he tried to make the rest of the walk civil. But it was unexpectedly short and Dan soon declared that he was walking that way, when Jake had to walk the other.