Part 4

Lily and I were a couple of minutes late for sixth period because I had to get Lily cleaned up. It's not like it mattered though. When Lily and I wlked into Home Ec. the teacher didn't even glance up. I wonder if he gets anything done with any of the rest of his classes. Or maybe we're all being neglected. Either way, we didn't get in trouble and I sat halfway though class bored out of my mind, until a student with a note walked in and my completely boring Home Ec. teacher called me forward and handed me the note that requested my presence A.S.A.P.

" 'Kay then, later teach." I mock saluted and left. 

I arrived at an office door with a fogged out window and the words:

Mrs. Kate Daniel

Principal

I lightly rapped on teh door twice before I heard a voice calmly command, "Come in." I opened the door, stepped into her office, and shut the door behind me. Mrs. Daniel gestured towards a chair, indicating that I should take a seat.

"Ms. Richardson, I understand that earlier today in gym class, you and Brandon Smith had a misunderstanding. You mistook Brandon for someone else and then you harmed and threatened him. Brandon is demanding that you give an apology to him as soon possible." Mrs. Daniel said.

"Mrs.Daniel," I protested. "There was no misunderstanding. Brandon and his friends tossed my friend Lily into the pool and she can't swim! She could've drowned! I merely told Brandon that he should be more careful."

"Is your friend alright?" Mrs. Daniel inquired.

"Yes, she's fine." I replied.

"Then I demand youi give Brandon a full apology before this day's end!"

"But Mrs. Daniel --- ," I started.

"Until you are the son or daughter of a multi-billionaire, I don't care about your problems. My job is to make the rich kids happy. Your friend didn't die and she wasn't submited to the hospital so there should be nothing stopping you from giving that boy an apology. If you're not happy with my decision, then I hope you're good at acting because my decision is final. Brandon will report back to me so I will hear if you didn't apologize. You can go now." She made a shooing gesture with her hands. Before I could fully leave her office, she called me back.

"Yes, Mrs.Daniel?" I asked through clenched teeth.

"When you apologize, flirt a little. Cozy up to him. You're really pretty so he may spare you. Now you're dismissed." She shooed me off again.

I left Mrs. Daniel's office, fuming. I don't care if his parents are rich, he shouldn't get away with bullying anybody. I should've hit him a lot harder. Maybe then he wouldn't have remembered to make the principal speak to me about his hurt pride. 

I was halfway back to Home Ec. when the bell rang. I just sighed and switched directions to head to photo journalism. I walked in the classroom and walked right into someone.

"Well if it isn't my best," a familiar voice said. I looked up to see his dancing green eyes. 

"Please tell me you don't have this class." I pleaded.

"Sorry princess, can't tell you that. If I did, then I'd be lying. Seriously though, you've already been heree a couple of days, how did you not notice I was here?" He asked confused.

"Wow, someone's full of themselves. Seriously Brandon, the world doesn't revolve around you." I told him.

"Speaking of you," he broke out into a smile, " and me. I believe there was something mentioned about an apology?"

"Brandon, the only time an apology will ever cross my lips and be directed towards you is when you show up to school dressed as a ballerina. So honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath." I paused, thinking. "On second thought, hold your breath."

The tardy bell rang and everyone took their seats. The teacher stood front and center and clapped his hands together. "Students! We have a new project to work on. It will take up the entire 5 months we have left for this school year. You will work on it on your own time and we will have other projects in the duration of this one! Don't think you're off the hook for homework." There was a collective groan from the class.

He turned back to his desk and grabbed some papers. He started on the far left of the classroom and worked his way up and down the aisles, distributing the project papers.

When he finished, he sat down at his desk and faced us. "I was feeling lazy so you're going to be grouped alphabetically." While he was reading off names, I sort of zoned out. I came back to reality real fast when I heard my name, and then Brandon's name. 

"Wait! What?!" I exclaimed.

"You Ms. Richardson will be partnered with Mr. Smith." 

"Will Smith?" I asked hoping that he had spontaneously wanted to enroll in a high school photo journalism class.

Mr. Sweeney chuckled, "If he wanted to take a photo journalism class, I highly doubt that he'd choose a high school one."

"Okay well that dream was crushed." I responded. The class chuckled again.

"Well sorry to be the one to crush you dreams Stephanie, but you will be partnered with Brandon Smith which I know is a dream for most girls in this school."

"Yeah Mr. Sweeney, I'm not most girls. This is a nightmare, not a dream."

"Sorry again but this nightmare will remain for the rest of the school year. And that that matter is resolved, you projects will be . . . . Get To Know You Partner. For the next couple of months you guys are going to find out the background of your partner. Your visual presentation will only be pictures. You will also have to give an oral presentation where you will tell us about your pictures and fill in the gaps in the storyline. Basically, it is your job to become "BFFALATPL" with your partner. Oh and you will be sitting with your partner for the rest of the year." The class let a another collective groan. "Well come on," Mr. Sweeney clapped, "get to it."

After the whole class finished moving seats, Brandon turned to me with a bright smile. "Hello BFFALATPL!"