People Who Deserve The Sun

I know that the first couple of chapters are short and not all that interesting but stick with me. The chapters will get more interesting later on. 

     The doorbell rang. Mom was in bed still and didn't have the strength to get up. I went to answer the door, and honestly, I wasn't all that surprised when I opened the door and saw Principal Gonzalez standing there. I sighed. "Come in, Mr. Gonzalez."

     Once he stepped inside, I led him to the living room and he took a seat. "Stephanie," Mr.Gonzalez  started, "I need to speak to your mother."

     "She's in bed." Mr. Gonzalez just nodded his head in understanding. Out of all the people I've ever met, which trust me is a lot, Mr. Gonzalez is the onl person who knows that my mom has cancer. He followed me one day to the hospital because he thought I was skipping school again. 

    "Stephanie, you do realize what I'm here for, right?" Mr. Gonzalez spoke tiredly.

     Do I know what he's here for? Why has any member of administration stopped by my house? He's going to tell me that my behavior is a disgrace to their outstanding and well-respected school. In short, he's here to give me the boot.

     "Yes Mr. Gonzalez. I do know what you're here for."

     "I'm so sorry Stephanie. I understand that you have a lot on your shoulders but, it's my job to not allow this to pass. My job would be at risk and I have a family, too." he apologized.

     "Don't worry about it Chris. But, hey, if you ever get bored, you should stop by so I don't turn into a lonely old hermit." I said with a smile.

     "Well I can't exactly stop by if you're changing schools." Chris said confusedly.

     "That's it though, Chris. I'm done. I'm tired of moving every time I get kicked out of school. I can't help the fact that I tell off kids that are rude. Or the fact that I get into fights instead of getting picked on. And it can't be helped that I need to skip school to go to work. So I'm done. I only have seven months left anyway." I told Chris.

     "That's the point!" Chris exclaimed. "You only have seven months left. What's going to happen when," he hesitated, "when you don't need to work to pay for doctor appointments? What then? You know as well as I do that she doesn't have much longer."

     I stood, paralyzed. I know what happens with cancer patients and I know that my mom isn't one of the lucky ones but, I had been able to avoid admitting that small fact. I had been able to delude myself into thinking this is the way it would always be. "I wouldn't be able to move anyways," I whispered, my entire body felt numb.

     "And why not?" I heard Chris ask.

     "Because she's gotten so much more sick. I wouldn't be able to move her without the proper equipment."

     "Don't worry about it Stephanie. I know someone you can stay with and I hope you don't mind but I already arranged for you to do so."

     "You did what?" I exclaimed.

     "As soon as I found out I called around and asked for a favor. This way, you won't have to skip school to work."

     "I will still have to work." I said, my mind racing a hundred miles a minute. "I may not be paying for an apartment but, there are still the medical expenses and her medicines. What about clothes and our food and school supplies, and what about vehicles and gas?" I rambled on.

     "That's what I'm trying to tell you. My uh, mother, she's going to be the one taking you in by the way, my mother is offering to pay for everything. And she won't take 'no' for an answer.

     I was speechless.

     "So that settles it. Take a carry on bag and one for your mother. A car will be here in an hour and the rest of your belongings will be there within three days." Chris got up to leave. "If you ever need someone, don't hesitate to give me a call." He walked to the front door and was just about to step outside when he turned back and said, "By the way, have a great senior year." And then he was gone. 

     I can't believe it. I won't have to work like a dog and I won't have to m iss school or worry about next  month's rent. 

      My jubilation died down soon enough when I remembered why exactly I was getting this break.

      Mom doesn't have much longer. In six months time, I will be motherless. I'm just going to have to go with the flow and finish off my senior year.

      I got up to go pack my carry on and mom's. Once I was done I stopped by my mother's room to wake her up. "Mom . . . mom . . . mom wake up," I called out softly while gently shaking her shoulder.

      "Huh?" She murmured, still groggy.

      "Mom we're leaving. Come on, get up." Just then I heard a horn honk from outside. "That's our ride."