Chapter Four

"So what's wrong Wester? what happened out there today?" Oliver patiently asked, allowing me enough time to gather my unformed words. The sentence was on the tip of my tongue but its funny, I couldn't utter a word. Not one as I stared at her. She never usually asked me how my day has gone, something was off about this situation. 

    Leaving the question unanswered I stood and looked around, there were some things knocked over and it looked like there were signs of a struggle. I quickly looked back at Oliver, with a slight scowl. There were slight scraps on her shoulders and cheek, another selfish person who didn't like the price she gave them. When this thing happens I know just where to look for them because she always locks them into the closet next to the living room.

      I quietly crept to the closet door and with one fluid motion, opened the door and had a knife pointed to a small child. This came as a small shock. Oliver wasn't one to pick up strays, no matter the situation. I slowly looked over the child. 

        The child was tiny and malnourished, practically only skin and bone. Its hair was pure white and it's eyes a bright silver, looks like it was born with the tainted air in its lungs. The more shocking thing about the child where it's mixed wire cable antlers embedded in its head and the ears to match the deer appeal. The poor child also had small hooves for feet. It was only wearing a large t-shirt... my t-shirt. 

      I slowly put away my blade seeing that I had frightened the thing enough and sighed looking over to Oliver. 

     "Explain... Now..." I demanded as I glanced between the two. She groaned and stood walking over to the trembling squirt and picked them up. 

           "Stupid costumer gave me this as payment for my hacking skills...when I tried to deny it they simply insisted that I take it and that they didn't have coins..." she muttered under her breath for a moment then added "they wouldn't take no for an answer so I had no choice". I silently listened and watched them carefully as they entered the kitchen. 

       "So what are you going to do with it then?" I found myself asking as she set her on the counter and opened the fridge. She then handed the nipper an apple and turned to me answering with " I don't know Wester, I honestly don't know...". 

       I  left the subject be after that, it already seemed like she had enough on her plate at the moment. Simply done with today I flopped back down on the couch, my stomach aching. I hadn't eaten anything substantial at all today, but we needed to start being wise with our food now that there was another mouth to feed. Nevertheless, Oliver knew I was starving and set a plate in front of me. On the plate was a well-made sandwich which brought a slight smile to my face. I pulled down the mask and picked it up. 

         While eating, the child walked to my left side and put one of there small hands on my knee, tilting there head slightly. I stared at it for a moment then back to my food, doing my best to ignore the tiny creature whilst it continued to stare at me. I gulped and looked to Oliver who only giggled and walked back to her room, closing the door behind her. I groaned and looked back at it, 'did its eyes get bigger? what is it staring at?' I thought as it set it's head on my knee only looking at me. I gulped once more and returned to eating my sandwich. 

        Once finished the tiny thing crawled up on the couch and yawned then flopped onto my lap after stretching. 

    "Hey!" I barked as it curled up and slowly fell asleep leaving me to silently mutter and grumble under my breath. I looked to the side and held my chin in my hand. I stayed this way for a long while before I looked back at it and hummed with a gained curiosity. What was this thing anyway, female or male, techno deer thing....or human. I then poked it's cheek slightly and watched as it grumbled in response. Its voice was high pitched and sounded like that of a young girl, that would explain the length of its hair. I sighed, at least I now knew that it was female but it being human was another question but that would have to be saved for later. 

     I did my best to keep it sleeping as I carefully removed it from my lap and to the chair. After setting it down I walked to the bathroom to take a quick shower. Hell, a needed shower. The warm water feels nice after a long day of work and now stress. 

       Afterward, I wrapped a towel around my waist and had another loosely draped over my neck for me to dry my hair with and left the bathroom. I then quietly crept past the creature and to the chest behind the chair itself. The chest held my things; my clothing, weapons, shoes, and books. I quickly picked out a t-shirt and jeans, then new undergarments and walked back to the bathroom to change. 

    Coming out moments later I sat back down on the couch and sighed. I was sore and exhausted, I might just take the day off tomorrow to recuperate. Also might give me the chance to find a new hiding spot for the coins that Oliver always seems to steal. All the things I could do with tomorrow flutter through my thoughts as I fell over on the couch in a deep sleep.  

~the next morning~

       Harshly being shaken I open my eyes to see Oliver's worried expression. I blink slightly to wake myself up before attempting to speak. Oliver hugged me tight and let out a sigh of relief. I finally manage to say something, "what's wrong? what...... why are you..". 

    "In a panic?...." she quickly interrupted then added "because you wouldn't wake up... I tried everything.. Everything I could think of and you still wouldn't wake up...It was almost like......almost like you were dead". I blinked slightly and just sat there before realizing that I was drenched from the head down to my waist. My eyes widened and I all of a sudden knew the trauma I had inflicted onto my sister. I hugged her back and pet her head as she slowly calmed down. 

       "You need to get a different job...." Oliver whispered as she let go and gave a sad smile. 

     "You out of everyone should know I can't do that......" I retorted in an annoyed fashion as I ruffled my wet head of hair. There is no other job out there for a criminal like me.