Ashes to Embers - Epilogue

By Samantha Cook

Here's the ending, I hope you've enjoyed. Chapter 2 needs a massive edit, alongside 3 and 4, but here's the ending anyway. Thx for reading.

Epilogue

The library had not changed much over the years; it was still unorganised although the mess was in different places. The librarian at the desk was different, older and darker in appearance, although the one from years back was in the corner, milling around with a handful of old leather-bound books. Since Kelsey's last visit the centre table had gained three computers, each with the hour bouncing around on the black screens.

To fill the time she went over to one of the monitors and moved the mouse so that the screen snapped back to a log in. Already there in the sign in box was her name printed across the screen. When she turned around Ashling had materialised. She still looked young and smug. "Well, you have to enjoy it by messing with people. Life is a little dull otherwise, seeming I know the exact outcomes of my choices."

"And you chose to see me again," Kelsey mused.

The visionary nodded, mirroring the way that Kelsey had two years back. "You're questions are focused and modest, even though you never seem to know what you are asking."

There were things it appeared that Ashling could not do, as she titled her head slightly and tightened her eyes as if trying to read further, searching for questions she must know she will never know the answer to.

"So what were you hiding - about that ancient prophecy right?"

"Yes, your memory is good." Kelsey swivelled round in her seat, hoping Ashling would join her, but it appeared her visit would be short. "There were later readings of the prophecy; ones that helped unpick the nature of why one of the greatest visionaries of all times would say something that proved to be completely wrong." Kelsey was about to say that she didn't understand, but Ashling was already smiling. "Later visionaries saw this future outcome too, that good has won for now. Yet every time they wrote down and tried to pass on the knowledge that good will win, the vision became altered, resulting in, possibly, you and your friends' deaths. It seems while the knowledge of victory was out there, you were unable to take such a large risk that lead to your victory. You know what I mean?"

Kelsey nodded, and then laughed to herself. "Yeah, I guess I do." Kelsey stood to leave, but more questions starting filling her mind. "Hang on, how did you know then? You see the future right? Not the past."

"The gift has been passed along my family. My father was a visionary, and his father's father was a visionary and so on. The knowledge has been passed down, and waiting until a daughter is born with the gift, for then is the time to act." She gave a wink. Then her smile began to lessen as her eyes grew wiser. "I cannot see the past, but I can remember what I see when it happens." Kelsey anticipated Ashling's next words, unknown to what life could possibly be hiding from her this time.

"How well do you know Tristan?"

It wasn't what she had expected. It seemed to come from nowhere, as if there was another Tristan that Ashling was referring to. "I trust him," was all she could say. They had known each other for what felt like forever. He had always loved Feya and he was great at being social. He was Tristan.

"Despite hiding his gift from you?"

"He had to," she retorted almost at a shout. She had to be loud to hear herself over the paranoid voice in her head that knew exactly what Ashling was on about.

"He's a good liar, Kelsey. He's part of something too big for him to understand, as you all are. Tell me, do you know how he got hold of pure magic?"

"We beat Derribus, can't we just forget and move on."

"You of all people," she chuckled. It didn't take long for the wise look to restore her omniscient features. "Derribus was the problem of your bunker. There are seven bunkers in the world, and Derribus touched yours alone although his work spread out across the world." Kelsey turned her head away. It wasn't making sense to her anymore.

"You have done well for now," Ashling continued, reading her thoughts. "There were other times in history when good almost overcame the leader of evil. Of course, they perished but the names live on. The set you may find interesting, and they did very well; Aleck Belsky and Sandey Fowa." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a piece of folded paper with the name written on the inside.

The names had a familiar ring to them, but neither struck a memory in Kelsey's mind. "Nope, are you sure you didn't mean someone else."

Ashling did not answer her, but challenged her once more. "The only others to come close, although he was never meant to succeed, was Adrian Derribus." She winked once more, and then walked out of the door leaving Kelsey's thoughts churning in uncertainty.