Ashes to Embers - Chapter 11

Again, thanks to everyone who has read this far. All feedback welcome, and votes are very much appreciated. I hope you enjoy.

By Samantha Cook

Chapter Eleven Asscher Mansion

Feya tried to change the subject. Odin's question had instigated an awkward moment which he was beginning to read into. "How's Finn?"

It worked, although it pained her to see him flinch at the thought of his brother. "He loved her. It's tearing him apart - he's severed our psychic connect." Odin scoffed. "Izzy was the one, you know. I never thought...Well I always thought..."

Neither of them wanted to see him like this. Instead they both wrapped their arms around him. With an arm each on his shoulder, they walked down the royal hall and into the common room, expecting it to be covered in candles to mourn Isadora's death. Instead the room was lit by the usual chandelier with a curious chatter circling the room. Oliana's presence brought the room to a hush.

"The list of names will be pinned on the corkboard, all of which will be in intensive training for three days, and then resting for the next. On the fifth we will locate Derribus and remove his presences from our lives forever." Like usual, her words seemed almost impossible to go against, despite how insane they sounded. "We are the largest and most diverse Embers in our country - if anyone is to stop these murders from both outside and inside our home, we are the most likely to prevail."

A muttering began at her final words. Her speech was short, final.

"But we'll all die," Feya thought to Kelsey, who looked past Odin to give her a gloomy nod. "We can't let that happen."

All Feya understood from Kelsey was a few negative vibes before Odin interrupted. "Do you think you could maybe talk to Finn, Feya? You're the only one who must know how he feels, and even without that, you're the kindest person I know." He gave her a warm smile although the strain could still be seen in his eyes. There was only one answer any friend would give to that.

"I'll try," she croaked, hanging her head low. Suddenly it seemed hard for Feya to remember how she felt just a few hours back. It seemed almost impossible to impair wisdom on how Finn could move on from Isadora when she never had to move on. He came back; there was almost nothing she could think say to make help make anything easier.

"While you do that," Kelsey told her inconspicuously, "I'll head to the library. We need something to show us who to trust," she added when Feya looked confused. Before she could be questioned, Kelsey slipped into the stream of Embers leaving the hall.

The bundle was a tediously slow experience with no space given to squeeze past. Kelsey followed the stream of people all the way to the far side of the bunker until she spotted Oliana, standing before the library entrance.

"Kelsey Black," Oliana called, and the crowd parted, creating a path for her. There was no way of avoiding the conversation. "You need to be in training right away. You and Feya have an important part to play in our victory."

"And what might that be?" Kelsey humoured her with a flat voice.

"Feya will be your Protector. Using her shield, you two will sneak into Derribus's quarters and perform a Lockdown ritual so that nothing can get in or out." Kelsey was desperate to interrupt, but at the same time she wanted Oliana to finish her rant so that she could sneak off to the library. "The Demons will rush out to defend their territory where we will show no remorse. They will have nowhere to retreat, and no weapons to summon, such as those hexed daggers that killed your friend."

"Wait a second," Kelsey blurted. Luckily Oliana was busy taking a breath so that it was not technically interrupting. "That would mean we can't get out."