Ashes to Embers - Chapter 9

Just want to say thx to anyone whos made it this far.

By Samantha Cook

Chapter Nine Unravelling

"You know what?" Kelsey growled sarcastically while slamming the door.

"What?" Feya smiled innocently, turning friend's sneer into a reluctant smile; it was good to see Feya smile again.

"No, I'm not happy. You threw me off completely with all that Nikkitah talk so I couldn't concentrate. I literally sat there for an hour in deep thought while Kiyo told me to breathe - I think he believes I forget to be human sometimes, although how can I forget with my memory? I'm practically a security camera and that's all, because I was too distracted to throw flames!"

"Anyway," Feya beamed, waiting for an answer.

"Yes, but it's more for my piece of mind that for you. And, you know I'm coming with you tonight, when you next cross paths with the lunatic." Feya rolled her eyes.

"I guess you can hold your own, Kelsey, or at least better than me."

"Aw Fey, that's the nicest thing you've ever said."

Feya hopped to her feat, and switched the lights off. The candle's were already lit and arranged into a pentagon so that Kelsey could sit in the centre, the channelling technique they learnt in their ancient witchcraft class. "Now, breathe," Feya mocked when Kelsey became comfortable; her reply was to throw a pillow at Feya's face. Then she took a deep breath, and rewound her mind back two years. Back to when they first entered the bunker, back to when they met Nikkitah...

Her parents flashed up and Kelsey flinched. It took a couple of deep breaths before she could focus on something nonsensical, and then move onto the important detail. Ones that her memory had to stretch to reach.

"You don't know what you've done! They're feeding you lies if I could only show you," Kelsey muttered, mirroring Nikkitah's words. Feya leaned in, afraid to break the channelling circuit but curious, very, very curious... Kelsey pushed further.

"There's something wrong with that, I know, I can feel it..." Kelsey's voice was distant as she recalled the events, although they could not stand on their own; her mind needed to fall back just another few seconds.

"And here's Tristan, he has been placed on the human course as it seemed a more suitable placement." There was a slight pause, and then her voice returned stronger yet still verging on inaudible. "Oliana told her that wasn't her gift. If she knew what Nikkitah could really sense, she was pretending not to."

The memory jogged in Feya's mind as ideas began to hook together. She began muttering under her breath, thinking out loud. "Nikkitah never liked Oliana and vice versa. Oliana made her a scapegoat for a reason... Her gift was to sense motives, which would make sense - if she was telling the truth. That could mean Nikkitah sensed that Oliana's motives were impure..." Her voice trailed off so that it was just her thoughts speaking.

The only problem with the whole situation was who to trust. Nikkitah clearly could pull more from what people said than if it was simply the truth or not. What if Oliana was hiding something? If Nikkitah and Oliana saw through each other's plans or façades then it would be one person's word against the other - Oliana's authority would certainly mean Oliana would be trusted, especially with the rumours of dark magic in play. Nikkitah had no chance, even if she was strong willed and honest.

Then again, she tried to kill Tristan - not half kill, but murder in front of a whole room full of people. Clearly Nikkitah was hiding more than she had shared. She seemed like a clever person, but there was no IQ restriction on insanity, or evil...