Chapter 21: Closing in on Christmas

The week before Christmas was a very hectic one with lots of studying. Julie wasn't planning on going home for Christmas, but Regulus was so she was already preparing herself for missing him. She sat with him by the lake, crunching the snow under her feet, hoping they'd get warm. Regulus had told her he'd joined the pro-wizards group, and he seemed to be really happy. Julie believed the things he said, and she was thinking about joining too. James and Lily hadn't gone on their date because Lily's grandfather had passed away and she didn't want to see anyone for the weekend they had planned. Julie stared at the Black Lake and Regulus took her hand.

"Say Julie, would you like to come home for Christmas with me?" He asked, and Julie nodded.

-"I would love to. But wouldn't anyone find out?"

"I don't mind if they do. But we can always think of an excuse as to why you're leaving Hogwarts right? Is Olive going home?"

-"No, she stays here with Sirius, because he doesn't want to go home."

"Yeah, he always picks fight with my family." Regulus answered.

-"I want to think about coming along first, if that's okay."

Regulus nodded and gave her a kiss. They continued talking until it was almost time to go to breakfast, as they usually met at times no one would see them together. Julie joined the group at the Gryffindor table, and had breakfast in silence.

***

After classes Julie dragged herself up to Gryffindor Tower, and entered the common room. Most people were enjoying the snow outside, and others were sitting with their friends in the Great Hall, so she expected the common room to be empty, but when the Portrait Hole opened she saw Olive and Sirius cuddling on the couch, and as soon as they noticed her they moved away from each other.

"So, how did this happen?" Julie asked with a smirk on her face. Olive and Sirius mumbled some excuses and Julie decided to just let them so she went upstairs to the girls' dormitory.

She sat on her bed for a while, thinking about Regulus' proposal to join him round his house for Christmas and his stories about the man who was going to change the world for all wizards. She thought about how she always had to hide her magic from her neighbours, how no one could know because of the Act of Secrecy, and she realized she didn't want this.

She picked up her quill and ink and a piece of parchment and started writing to Regulus.

Dear Reg,
I have thought about your offer and I would love to come along. As for joining the Wizarding community, I couldn't think of anything better to improve everything for wizards. I can't wait to see you again and to hear all about it.
Love,
Juliette

She smiled at her letter and gave it to her owl to send it off to the Slytherin Dungeons.

She started some packing and walked downstairs for dinner afterwards.

As she prodded her mashed potato with her spoon she looked across the tables to the Slytherin table. Regulus was looking at her with a smile.

After dinner Julie and the boys and Olive sat in the common room while they chatted. Julie had received an owl back from Reg in which he confirmed they'd be going to his place, and Julie was more than excited to go.

"I'm not staying for Christmas." Julie announced, and Olive, in Sirius' arms, raised a brow.

-"Why not? This would be our first Christmas at Hogwarts!"