six

Klaus

"I don't know what you did or said to that girl, but she hates you, man." Archor cackled as he left Violet's room, sealing the door shut. I rolled my eyes, shoving my hands in my pockets as I retreated back down the hallway. "Oh, little brother, wait up for me." Archor jogged to my side, slapping an arm around my shoulders in a way that made my leather jacket make a smacking sound. "You couldn't just try playing nice?"

"She's a brat." I shrugged, my jaw clenched beneath my cheek. 

"More like, Niklaus is a brat and is projecting his daddy issues onto a poor, sweet virgin." I stopped walking as Archor emphasized the last word, a wicked smile creeping across his face. "Yes, little brother, we've got a little play thing right here in Hale Manor. I don't know about you, but virgin and red head have been on my list for years. I figure, why not kill two birds with one stone, you know?" 

"You're sick." I shook my head, continuing my walk back to my bedroom. Archor continued to follow me, his pace matching mine as I attempted to move faster. "And besides, no guy in their right fucking mind would try taking Talon Maddox's daughter's virginity. That's a suicide mission." Archor took a moment to think about it. 

"I'm willing to take that chance." He shrugged, leaning against the wall nearest my bedroom door. "And little brother, thank you so much for being a dick to her. Because while you're doing that, you're driving her right into my bed. Keep up the good work." He patted my shoulder once more before disappearing around the corner. Twisting the handle, I entered my bedroom and threw my jacket across my desk chair, falling into my mattress like dead weight. My eyelids became heavy and drooped over the majority of my line of sight. Shrugging my shirt and jeans off, I slid under the covers of my bed and allowed my eyes to fully drift shut. 

The sun drifted through the four windows of my bedroom, as the morning blossomed into full effect, I slid out of bed and stretched my limbs as far as they could go. Slipping into a pair of basketball shorts, I grabbed my headphones from my dresser and jogged out of my bedroom, firmly closing the door behind me. My eyes couldn't help but stare down the ill lit hallway that led down to Violet's bedroom. Visions of her red hair strewn across her pillows danced across my brain before I shook them away. But without realizing, my thoughts grew deeper, imagining the big brown eyes that watched me with hatred and anger. The thought made me smile. Her lips, the way they scowled in the presence; the way they trembled when I pressed her against the wall that first day we met; how they produced my name in such a fucking innocent manner. Without realizing, I had come to a stop, staring down the hallway at Violet's bedroom door like a hawk while thinking about her lips. 

What the fuck.

The sudden realization hit me like a train and I was taken aback by my own thoughts. Did I find Violet attractive? Objectively, fuck yes. The thought of bending the mouthy redhead over my desk and fucking her into oblivion no doubt made me hard. But she had a smart mouth that made me want to lock her in her bedroom with a couple boxes of granola bars and a few jugs of water until this assignment was over. She was stubborn and I hated it. She was spoiled and entitled, and I hated that too. Coming to the conclusion that I hated her more than desired her relieved me slightly. Stuffing my headphones on, I opened the door of the house jogged into the street. Like every morning, I avoided the clutter of vehicles and people by jogging down alleyways, climbing buildings and jumping from one to another. After an hour, I headed back toward home. When I was almost three blocks away, a black Cadillac pulled up beside me, throwing a black envelope my way before driving off. I cautiously picked up the paper, noticing the silver wax seal that resembled a C. 

Coleman's. 

Without opening the elegant paper, I sprinted the rest of the way home, whipping the door open to my father's office without knocking.

"Niklaus, what the fuc-"

"Someone pulled up in a Cadillac, threw this at me, and drove away without saying anything. It's got the Coleman's coat of arms on it." I interrupted him. My father's eyebrows creased as he took the envelope from my hands. Popping the seal, he opened the paper and pulled out a silver invitation. 

"On behalf of the Coleman family, the Hale family is cordially invited to the celebration of Sebastian Coleman's birthday." My father read aloud, his eyes reading over the party's details before they widen slightly in surprise. "Handwritten, it says: Please be obliged to bring the daughter of Talon Maddox as well." My heart stilled in my chest. 

"How could they know we have her?" I grimaced at the remembrance of our little tour of the city. I should have known the Coleman's would find out. My father set the invitation down and placed his head in his hands, deliberating on what our next move was. Taking a deep breath, his eyes met mine.

"Get Ravon on the phone, we've got to get the girl in for a fitting."