one

Pop Pop

Gunshots went of from somewhere in the house and I sprang out of bed. Footsteps drew nearer and nearer to my bedroom door, I ran to the knob and quickly locked it. Cash and Brock will take care of whoever is coming. I waited in silence, the footsteps getting louder and louder until they were right outside the door. My heart beat hard in my chest, the silence becoming too much.

"Brock?" I whispered into the dark, hoping he would hear me through the door. "Cash?" The door knob thrashed violently as someone tried to come in. I thanked myself for being quick to lock it.

"Oh, Ms. Violet, can you come out here for a moment?" Cash said menacingly playfully. I shook my head and slid underneath my bed.

"Please, Ms. Violet, we just want to talk." Brock said, but after a few moments of silence, he pounded against the door. "Open the fucking door, Violet!" I slapped my hand over my mouth to keep from screaming. Where is Dad? They continued to punch and kick the door, and while my door was very secure, they had worked for my family for years and knew its weak spots. I curled myself up into a ball and pulled out my rose gold switchblade I had gotten for my eighteenth birthday. They burst into my room, the door breaking into pieces from under them. This is it, I am going to die.

"Ms. Violet..." Cash called into the empty room. "Come out, come out!" He began to look for me, pulling things from my dresser, my vanity, and stripping my bed of its blankets.

"Cash," Brock said from across the room. "Look at these." Their footsteps neared each other and I heard them laugh together.

"I bet Boss doesn't know about these skimpy little black panties you've got in here, Ms. Violet. Why don't you try them on for us-" I heard a gun cock and suddenly the two men I had trust with my life for the past eighteen years gasped.

"Violet, are you okay?" I heard my father call. I scrambled from beneath the bed and ran into his side, holding onto him tightly. He held an MG5 up to them, a deep hatred set into his expression. "You sons of bitches. I trusted you, more than all of the others, with the safety of my daughter. We've worked together for twenty years, you're practically family."

"The new boss offered more money, it's nothing personal Talon. Just business." Cash said, his voice trembling.

"A slip of judgement." Brock took a step forward and my father did the same before screaming in rage and shoving the gun against Brock's temple.

"A slip of judgement, huh? I don't give a fuck about your judgement." My father pulled the trigger, a burst of blood and human matter splatter the wall and carpet. He wiped blood away from his forehead and smiled cheekily at Cash.

"Cash," My father beamed, "Cash, Cash, Cash. What shall I do with you?" He circled around Cash like a predator. "Let you live and send a message to your new boss? Or just kill you? Both send a message and one is obviously favorable over the other." Dad placed his index finger to his lips in deliberation. "I really enjoyed the part where you were talking about my daughter trying on her underwear in front of you. That was my favorite." My father began to tremble with anger, which I knew was a sign he wasn't in the mood for mercy. "Goodbye, Cash. It was good working with you." In the next moment, Cash's brain was sprayed across the wall behind his lifeless body. Several of my parent's guards came in to remove the bodies while my dad brought me to the kitchen where my mother and brothers were taking refuge. My mother and father argued about what to do, where to go, and how to get back at whoever had attempted this attack. One of the on-call chefs made us hot chocolate, and my brothers and I drank it down quickly to avoid listening in on our parents.

Vincent was the oldest of all of us. At the age of twenty-five, he was first in line to take over the family when my father retires. Viktor was second eldest and practically a mirror of a younger version of my father. Vaughn was third in our sibling timeline and has the shortest temper. Then there's Valen, the idiot I had shared a womb with.

"I know what they're going to do." Valen stated, slurping up a soggy marshmallow. I shook, my mouth unable to verbalize my thoughts. "Dad's going to spread us out. Mom will go to the house in Beverly Hills; Dad, Vince, Vik, Vaughn, and me will stay here to plan revenge; and you will go to the Hale's."

"The Hale's?" I wondered aloud, taking another sip of my drink. The liquid burned my throat, but it was much more comfortable than what I was feeling inside.

"Yeah, they're an ally we have in Chicago." Vik shrugged nonchalantly, licking his spoon of the excess chocolate.

"Why can't we go somewhere together? Why do I get stuck with strangers?" I looked back at my father who had his head in his hands, my mother rubbed his back gently to comfort him.

"If we went somewhere together, it'd be too dangerous. We're targets for all of Dad's enemies. If we're all in one spot, like we were tonight, it'd be like killing two with one stone. But instead of two birds, it'd be five." Vincent sighed, running his fingers down his face exhaustively. Valen pulled me into a side hug and squeezed me.

"It's going to be okay, Vi. Dad won't let anything happen to you."

"And what about you guys?" I frowned, hating the way everyone treats me like I'm breakable. "You guys are his kids, too."

"Yes, but you're our baby sister, and Dad's only daughter. We just want to keep you safe." Vaughn knocked my shoulder with his playfully, but I still didn't think it was fair. My father eventually stood and approached us once again. His face held a grave expression that made my heart know that what Valen had said was true. We were going to separate.

"Your mother and I have decided that for everyone's safety, I will stay here and your mother will be going to the house in California. The boys will stay with me. And Violet," His eyes found mine and I could tell it broke him to finish his sentence, "You will be going to Chicago."

The next hour was filled with packing. I wanted my father to see that I was being strong, so I refused to cry. I could cry in the car. My mother pulled me into an embrace, her soft cherry blossom perfume comforted me for a single moment before I remembered we were separating, for who knows how long.

"I love you," She said as she kissed the hair on top of my head. "Please be safe."

"I will." I bit my lip to stop a sob that attempted to rack my chest. We watched as her car drove away and disappeared behind the treeline. It was my turn. All four boys pulled me into a tight group hug, making me laugh for the first time that day. Valen waited until the other brothers had gone inside the house to show he was upset.

"I'm going to miss you," He kissed my cheek. "I'll see you soon, Vi. It's a twin thing, just trust me." My hardest goodbye was saved for last. I turned to find my father leaning against the brick of our upstate New York house, my childhood home.

"The Hale's are good people, strong people. They'll take care of you." He pulled me into his chest and I hug him tightly. I made a point to remember his familiar smell of cigars and sandalwood. "As soon as things clear up over here, I'll come and get you."

"Okay." I whispered softly, knowing he'd keep his word.

"I promise." He croaked, kissing my forehead. Without another word, I slipped into the back of my car and told my drive it was okay to go. I watched as my father disappeared from my view and I finally allowed myself to break down. Everything will be okay, Vi. Everything will be okay.