Chapter 13: Dance, Dance

i'm not sure what fic i want to come out after this one, i am messy, send asks about this fic to everyparxsongisgay on tumblr (a blog i share w pinklobotomy )

May 5th, 2018.

Prom came pretty quickly, shockingly. They'd spent a couple weeks in preparation mode, and it was kind of weird that it was finally here. It being a sort of symbol that soon, the past twelve years of their lives would become blurs and they'd become functioning members of society.

Geoff showed up to Awsten's house in his Goodwill-bought tux around 6:30pm, holding a corsage in one of his hands. Awsten reluctantly put it on, and when his mom noticed them discussing whatever subject by the front door, she looked like she was going to cry.

She made them take just about a thousand pictures together, forcing them into a variety of poses and directing them on exactly what to do. At one point, Awsten got tired of it and did the exact opposite of her 172nd idea, sticking his tongue out messily and threatening to lick Geoff's face with it if she didn't let them stop taking photos and just leave instead.

"I'll lick his face, mom. I'll do it!"
"Awsten Constantine, you wouldn't dare."
"You know I would."

They did eventually get to step outside, because Geoff used the excuse of having to pick up a large group of people in his mom's mini van as an excuse.

They weren't boujie enough for a limo, so Geoff's mom insisted that instead of just meeting them there, he drive her van and pick them all up. The prom "squad" as Awsten referred to it as consisted of Nick, Alexa, Westen, Jack, and of course, Awsten and Geoff. Carter and Kortney were skipping to get fucked up in Carter's basement, and Otto had his own date, so they all decided to group together.

They didn't leave Awsten's house until Geoff washed his face, and Awsten gave Geoff a bouquet of flowers that were self-picked from his mom's garden. AKA their backyard.

"You see, it's more romantic that way."
"Bullshit," Geoff mocked, "You're just using it as an excuse to be lazy."

Awsten tried not to think about how this wouldn't last very long and soon, Geoff would be across the fucking country in less than four months as they all screamed the lyrics to In Too Deep by Sum-41 and drove to the dance. He was actually pretty anxious to dance in front of Geoff, though, as Geoff did theater and therefore was probably way better at dancing than him.

The only coordination Awsten had had long since been used for skateboarding. Then again, he hadn't skated in awhile and it's not like Geoff was a triple threat or anything. That Awsten knew of, anyways.

Prom was a good thing, though. That's what all the movies said.

It just sucked that Awsten and Geoff couldn't dance to a slow song together. They could, realistically, but Awsten was a self-admitted pussy and wasn't willing to come out yet. Obviously, most people wouldn't mind it, and he'd only gotten positive feedback from those who he had come out to, but the fear of his still stood tall.

Sure, Awsten used to skateboard in the halls and he talked back to teachers, but one of his biggest fears was public humiliation. If it were to just affect himself, and was through his expression only, sure it would be whatever. But something about letting a huge crowd of people gawk at one of the most intimate parts about himself, one of the most happy relationships (platonic or not) that he'd ever had made him beyond uncomfortable.

He wouldn't just be affecting himself; He'd make waves that'd pull his family, Geoff, and anyone else who was so much as associated with him under the water to drown, too.