Chapter 10-Running From Them, Running To You

I sat frozen, as my mind tried to reject the information. Red and black flashed across my vision. That monster. How could he have done something like that? Everything Wade had done since I met him, now seemed faked, a false image to hide the evil beneath his skin. How could he laugh and joke knowing what he had done?

Unaware of my own actions, I didn't know I was quivering until Honor grabbed my arms, holding me from myself. A few tears trickled down her face and I felt my own barriers shattering.

"Auden," I heard, as though it came from deep beneath water. "Auden!" Honor shook me, breaking me from my trance. I took an unsteady breath, gulping air down.

I finally found my voice. "Oh my God."

Honor nodded. "I know," she breathed. "I know."

Looking around, I saw Courtney had fallen back, her face buried in a pillow. Ashley's face was tear-streaked, her eyes swollen and crimson. Morgan did not weep, only her face, devoid of all color, a pallor canvas, betrayed her emotion.

Minutes passed in silence. Abruptly, Courtney pushed her self up and surveyed the scene. Her hair was a mess and it was an unavoidable truth that she'd been crying, but she ran a hand over her face, erasing the remnants of tears, and smiled at us. I looked at her in alarm, and noticed my expression mirrored on the other three's faces.

Courtney stood up and stretched her arms above her head. "Well aren't we a morbid crew," she yawned, looking around. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to get some ice cream. I need some comfort food." Within moments, all I saw was her gray sweatpants before she disappeared out the door.

We quickly looked between each other before hurrying down the hallway after her. The four us of found her downstairs in front of the refrigerator, debating which flavor she wanted. I peered in and saw the freezer was stocked with individual cartons of ice cream.

"Okay, so I'm not sure which type I want. There's Cotton Candy, but it's the last one so I'm not sure I want to waste it." Courtney cupped her chin, deep in thought. "Guys, I don't know. Everyone pick out what they want, and I'll figure mine out after. I just can't decide!" She spoke of it as if it were the most important decision of her life. Had she not just been bawling after explaining to me that she had been raped and now there she was getting worked up about ice cream?

Honor caught my eye, and I knew she shared my opinion. I turned my palms up in question, but she just shrugged. Morgan and Ashley were more accepting of her sudden shift in thought, and were busy getting dessert.

Morgan snatched a Cookies and Cream out from the front, but Ashley stayed, digging through the many containers.

She turned to Courtney. "Are you guys seriously out of pistachio? Really?" Courtney rolled her eyes,

"Relax," she turned Ashley to the fridge door and pointed to a row of cartons. "Nobody else eats that rancid stuff around here. We stock up on this stuff for you. How can you not remember? We go through this every time."

"Dunno," Ashley said, quickly grabbing one out and leaving it open for me and Honor. Honor decisively grabbed a Mint Chocolate Chip.

I poked my head into the fridge, cringing from the little pangs that still pounded through my head. These guys were loaded with ice cream. I bit my lip, deciding, and then grabbed a Strawberry Cheesecake before I could change my mind. Half of the flavors I had never heard of, and I wanted to try something new; however, I was staying away from that Rum Raisin in the corner.

Courtney sighed once we all had chosen our types. "What do I get? I can't believe Stephanie didn't get any more Cotton Candy yesterday at the store! If I have that one now, I won't have anymore the entire freaking week!" She took a deep breath. "Whatever, I need some major comfort right now so I'm taking it. But I swear, I am going to regret this tomorrow."