Two Men and a Baby: Brunch in Milton Keynes

Phil

We are having brunch with Louise in less than an hour. Seeing our friend has been one of the loveliest parts of being in Milton Keynes. Although she came to see us in our dressing room before the show yesterday, it wasn't nearly enough time. The last time we saw her was in late September, or was it early October? Either way, it has been far too long.

Today we are finally meeting baby Pearl. Dan is so excited that he can hardly sit still. He thinks that I don't know how much he wants this, but he is mistaken. I know exactly how much he wants this, and I am not talking about playing with our friend's baby; I am talking about having one or two of our own.

Most people think that Dan is too selfish to be a father, and it hurts me deeply. If they knew how selfless he is, especially with me, they would swallow their words whole.

Having a family is Dan's dream; it happens to be mine as well. When we are done traveling the world next fall, our family will begin to take it's shape. We will buy our home and begin filling it with dogs and babies.

Dan was only eighteen when we met, but even then I could see him as the father of my children one day. I told him so when we had only been together seven months. It was a bold thing to share after such a short amount of time, and most people would find it presumptuous, but it's how we've always been. We have never been shy about our attraction, our feelings, our desires, or our intentions. Dan's response? He had been thinking the very same thing about me.

Dan can't sit still. He's sitting on the edge of the mattress, jiggling his left leg up and down. He is ready to leave, and for once I am the last to get ready.

"Phil, hurry up will you? You look gorgeous; stop fussing." He giggles a bit and stands. I feel his long arms around my waist and I can see his chin on my shoulder as I look into the mirror. We smile.

"You're really excited about this aren't you?" I put my hands over his.

"It could be us in a year." Dan smiles. "Can you imagine?" He pressed his palms together, as if in prayer and closes his eyes. He looks so precious. I know how deeply his desire runs.

"Yes. I can imagine. I have been imagining for a long time Dan." I kiss his cheek and pull him close. He smells so good, and he feels so soft.
                       ***

Being with Louise has always been good for us. She has been a trusted friend for as long as I can remember. Any child that she has had a part in creating is sure to be loved by us.

Dan is absolutely bursting. He sees her first, though I am a few steps ahead of him. "Oh my God," I hear him gasp.

Dan

It's a good thing that we got to see Louise yesterday, because right now, all I can think about is her beautiful baby girl in the buggy. Phil actually reaches her first, but I am close behind him.

She is so incredibly tiny; she is so unbelievably perfect.

We've seen photos and videos, but baby Pearl is even more precious in person. I briefly wonder if I have ever seen a more beautiful baby.

I haven't.

Louise giggles at my response. I know that Phil is anxious to hold her; we talked about before falling asleep together last night. He's a bit nervous about the whole thing, especially since Louise will be filming. 'I will be crushed if she cries as soon as she's placed in my arms," Phil confessed late last night.