Chapter XXVIII: To Fail Is To Die

WARNING: Implied suicide attempt

I had grown up learning things. I had been taught. I knew that I didn't know everything. I knew that some things were unknown. The knowledge out of my grasp; out of everyone's grasp. There were topics that I had no knowledge about. And there were topics I was knowledgeable of.

I knew what magic was. It was a type of energy that was generally split into two subcategories. There was spiritual energy – often known as mental energy – and physical energy. The two energies worked together and were closely related. Magic, I knew, could only be used if a being was able to influence it to get it to do what they wanted. And that ability depended on the amount of spiritual energy one had. Magic was always flowing, always existing, forever changing. It was mainly controlled by language, which helped focus one's intent.

Like most dragons, I had been taught that we have a close connection with our spiritual energy, and so had a large magic pool. It was a given that all dragons had the ability to use magic. Although it manifested it different ways and that was what a dragon's power was – the manifestation of their magic. Humans, on the other hand, used magic in its pure form.

Spiritual energy formed the bond between a dragon and rider. The bond between a dragon and rider was a connection of souls and minds – but not spirit – and affected both the dragon and the rider. It gave humans the ability to use magic, if they didn't already have the ability, and be able to mentally contact their dragon. It allowed dragons to transform from dragon to human, and mentally talk to their rider. Sometimes it had other effects. No one knew why a bond formed or how any of it worked.

Still, I had questions. Why did it exist? What was its purpose? What decided to connect two souls and minds? Could you remove it? Would it always existed? pAiN

I had questions and with so much time to myself, I couldn't help but think of the answers. Think about what I might be able to do. What Mark would be able to do; if he would still be able to hurt me. I wondered because it was all I could do, because I knew I had nothing else to do. I wondered because a fight laid in my future and it would be the hardest fight I'd ever partaken in. I wondered because I couldn't stop.

I wondered because sometimes you never know what might happen. I wondered because sometimes you don't get a choice. I wondered because I wanted to make things right.

***

The wall behind me creaked and groaned. I whirled around, chains clattering. I straightened myself so I looked bigger and watched the wall with cautious eyes as it continued to make loud sounds, before slowly – ever so slowly – shifting upwards. I bared my teeth at the dark hallway, but was unable to move due to the blasted chains.

I spun around once again at the sound of a door opening. A human came in, barely looking at me as they wandered closer before stopping. They didn't meet my eyes as they stared at the chains for a moment, before lifting their hands and speaking. "Opnask austvegr læsa," they said quietly. The chains loosened and opened with a click. I roared and pulled on my fire, already turning on the human – because they weren't on my side. They couldn't be on my side if they were only springing this now. Besides, no one would save me. Only the dragons knew that I was on their side. The human started speaking again, but this time I looked passed their human form and to their glowing energy which was rising within them, harsh and – it looked painful. This person was not an ally.

The open tunnel – I was meant to go down there. There was no other option. The plan – it had to be now! I was going to free the others. They would finally be free. I was going to redeem myself. I glared at the human, but they were already leaving. For a moment, I hesitated, something telling me to look closer at this human, look at their eyes, look at them, see them – but then I was running, paws pounding as I ran down the inclined tunnel.