Chapter III: Dream 2

WARNING: Suicidal thoughts alluded to, I guess. Drop a comment for more information.

Mark's Age: Nine years old

Thirak's Age: One month old

I tucked my head under my wing and pulled my tail tighter around my body. The silence seemed overbearing, and I shut my eyes in futile hope to block out the surrounding darkness. A mind in the back of my head woke, becoming more alert. I pushed my emotions back and hoped that my rider hadn't sensed what I was currently feeling. I winced as I heard footsteps approach. A hand reached beneath the bed and I instantly retreated, setting my back against the wall.

Thir? A voice whispered quietly. The word echoed in my mind, becoming louder and clashing. I whined softly and pushed against the wall, desperately trying to move further away from Mark.

There's a huffed breath and a moment of scrambling before a pale face appeared under the bed. Mark crawled beneath the bed and laid down next to me, not too close but not overly far away either. I watched the blonde haired boy, but Mark just shuffled around until he got comfortable – with a book and torch in hand.

After hanging the torch from the bottom of the bedframe, the green-eyed boy switched it on and opened his book. He started reading it aloud. His voice flowed over me like a river, but I kept my head hidden beneath my wing. I was hiding and that was more than enough reason to make me annoyed and frustrated with myself. It wasn't even like I had a proper reason for hiding. It was just...

Stupid emotions. I was better off without them.

I slowly turned around, lifting my wing a tiny amount so I could watch Mark – whose head was getting lower and lower as he read. Eventually, the book dropped onto the dusty floor with a thump, and Mark's deep breathing filled my hearing. I stood out and shook myself off, before slowly approaching Mark.

Even now, hours later, his words still stuck in my mind, constantly repeating themselves – an echo that only got louder. I took comfort and strength from them, and reminded myself that Mark didn't care. He didn't care that I couldn't do what almost all other bonded dragons could do naturally. He didn't care that I was useless at my age. I gently grabbed the book in my jaws and dragged it out from underneath the bed. Holding it gently, I lifted my front paws and placed them on the table, before resting the book on the table. I returned back underneath the bed and stared at the bright torch, before huffing in annoyance and leaving it.

It was easy to say that Mark meant everything to me – that he was my everything. Even when I had first hatched, when we had bonded, he had been the sole thing I had concentrated on. My entire life was based on my rider's, but maybe it didn't have to be. After all, my life was my own and no one else's.

I hummed softly as I listened to Mark breath. My orange-gold eyes watched the mass of energy within him, twisting and continuously in motion. His words, once again, came to the forefront of my mind, along with the reason for why I had hidden.

The problem had started roughly a week ago when I'd had my first class regarding transforming from dragon to human and back again. Very few were expected to get it on their first try but, by the end of the week, almost everyone had managed it. Except for me. It was infuriating that I couldn't do it, but that wasn't the main issue. No, it was the fact I felt like I was letting my rider down by being unable to do what every other dragon could. Mark had told me that it was alright and that I would figure it out eventually. He had told me that he didn't care if I couldn't do it as he knew I can do it, and you'll get there eventually Thir. Things take time. Whatever happens, I love you and we'll manage to get through this. I don't care what the others say. They aren't important.