Chapter XXI: Dream 11

Thirak's Age: Five years old

Mark's Age: Fourteen years old

Let her go, Mark said callously, and I pushed all my doubt and guilt to the back of my mind and ignored it. I let go of the human, watching as they tumbled down, unconscious and unable to do something as they headed towards certain death.

I heard something coming toward us, and I rose in the air, searching for whoever – or whatever – was fast approaching. There was a blue blur as a dragon dived past, wings pulled to their side as they tried to go as fast as possible. They reached Sky and I turned away at Mark's words, landing on the ground just before the cliff.

A feral snarl echoed up through the canyon and I shifted my weight into my back paws, mentally prepping myself for a fight. The other dragon flew over the lip of the canyon, grass ruffling their paws even as it flattened beneath the gusts from their wings.

The blue dragon landed softly, hind legs touching down before they put down the person – Sky – on the ground in front of her. The dragon was smaller; younger too – probably by a couple of years. Their underside was a lighter blue than the rest of their scales. Their – her – violet eyes stood out against blue scales. She growled at me and snapped her teeth.

I knew this dragon, not by name or appearance but by rumours and reputation. She was meant to be riderless, nameless, and had apparently been a work dragon before the Headmaster had bought her and brought her to the Dragon Rider Academy in hope that she would bond with someone.

I huffed. This would be an easy fight, probably a massacre if the other decided to try fighting, especially with Sky down and the nameless dragon needing to protect the fragile human. Another charity case, I murmured quietly to Mark, sharing my knowledge.

Mark chuckled, the sound reverberating through our bond. A pair of them, Mark said sounding amused.

The dragon's tail was curled around Sky in a protective manner and the thought that there was more to these two briefly rose in my mind before I dismissed it. You dare hurt; dare touch my rider?! The other dragon roared, and I felt Mark's mind shudder as the other dragon – the enemy – assaulted my rider's mind. I instantly rose to the challenge, easing the pressure off of Mark's mind as I added my own shield around his mind.

Last time I checked, Sky has no dragon. She's not even meant to be a dragon rider, my rider said, voice cold and striking out to hurt. He dismounted, striding forward and drawing his sword. The silver blade gleamed in the light, appearing harsh. Even its golden hilt couldn't soften its appearance.

The other dragon snarled and her neck stretched out, jaws snapping shut just in front of Mark. She growled again and drew back, bright violet eyes watching my rider carefully. I eyed the other dragon mistrustfully and took two steps forward so I was at Mark's back.

I touched my snout to Mark's back while speaking. Do not get closer, I murmured to Mark. She is angry and there is danger to you if you try to get closer to Sky currently. Even your skin cannot help but give to the claws of a dragon, my rider. Let me take her on. If we pull this dragon away, then you can do whatever you wish. For now, though, wait.

Mark's anger rippled through the bond, icy in its nature but burning too. Mark slammed his sword into its sheath and turned around, getting onto my back where he was safe from this dragon.

I walked closer to the dragon. What are you doing here Nameless Dragon? I asked blandly, uncaring, emotionless. The blue dragon watched as I continued stepping closer, each step measured and planned. I was a fighter, and when a fighter was prepared to fight, everything was restrained and unrushed, each movement was filled with grace and strength.