Chapter 6

Chapter 6

            One second, my body and mind was dead to the world, and within the next, pain flooded my senses forcing my eyes to open.  “Ah, there she is,” an unfamiliar voice says above me.  I try to turn my head, but I can’t.  I open my mouth to scream, but it won’t open.  I’m frozen to the hard, metal table, my eyes the only thing that can move.  I heard a swirling noise and my heart pounds harder in my chest.  It sounds like a machine you’d find in a dentist’s office… or a surgeon’s.  “You won’t feel a thing,” the voice says, coming closer.  I feel my skin prickle as the loud noise comes closer.  I look up to where a shadow passes over my face and I scream silently as a saw comes into view.  “I lied, this will probably be the worst pain you will ever have,” he counteracts himself.  I try to see his face, but the blinding light makes it so I can’t.  I let out a silent scream as the saw comes closer to my eyes. 

            I feel the wind of the blade on my eye… and then I wake up.

            I bolt straight up in the bed, gasping.  I wipe a sweaty hand through my soak hair, trying to blink away the nightmare.  It was just a nightmare, all a nightmare.  I throw my feet off my bed, and look down confused.  Why am I not wearing socks?  I jump off the bed, and gasp as the cold air shocks my skin.  I look down in confusion and I feel my mouth drop.  Why am I in a hospital night gown?  Something’s wrong.  I rub my hand across my face, feeling my face scrape against something.  I look down at my wrist gasping as I read the band on it.  Patient #1 Class: Top Priority.  I look around the room, confused.  I hug myself as I fall down to the white, linoleum floor.  My floor has grey carpeting, I think to myself.  I hug my knees to my shoulders as I take in the small room.  Everything, from the bedding to the walls was stark white.  I take in a gulp of air cringing at the hospital stench.  How did I not notice I wasn’t in my room?  What happened?

            I close my eyes as I rock myself slowly, tears leaking out of my eyes.  Where’s my mom?  Jaidee?  Anyone?  I look down at my grey nail polish-I had painted that specifically for my… date… with… I feel my eyes widen as memories flash in front of me; from our walk on the beach, to how he was actually some governmental agent… all the way too where I passed out on the beach after getting hit with a gun. He did this.  Whatever happened, it’s his fault.  I heard the door open and I raise my head, glaring at the intruder.  What if my dream wasn’t a dream… what if it happened? 

            I feel my breath go out of me and I close my eyes.  I huddle against the wall and the bed, feeling my body shake with fear.  What if whoever walked in is going to do what happened in my dream?  What if I’m about to die?  I don’t want to die, I chant desperately in my head.  I clutch my knees closer as fear takes control shutting everything else down.  My breath goes shaky and I know I’m on the verge of hysterics.  I don’t want to die.  I know there’s nothing I can do.  I’m helpless.  I’m like a cage animal at a zoo.  Even worse, I’m like a caged animal about to be slaughtered.  I don’t want to die.

            I feel a hand on my shoulder and I let out an ear splitting scream.  I thrash around uselessly, smacking my limbs on the bed and everything else, but I don’t care.  I’m not in control anymore.  I’m more like and injured animal than human.  So, what do caged animals do, when they’re scared?  They struggle.

            “Shh, calm down, I’m not going to hurt you,” a deep voice says soothingly.   I feel a shiver of familiarity in it, but it’s not enough to calm me.

            “Let me go!” I scream at him, as I continue thrashing, my eyes still clamp shut.  Oh God, what if he has a saw in his hand?  A scalpel maybe?

            “I’m letting go, just quit,” he says, and I feel the pressure on my shoulder release.  I thrash around for a few more seconds before settling down.  I fold my knees into me, burying my head into my lap.

            “What do you want?” I let out in a weak voice.  Tremors shake my body as I clutch my fists together, trying to with hold my scream. 

            “I just brought you food.”  That one simple sentence sounded so out of place here in this dismal, wretched place that I look up surprised.  I gasp as I look at him and I cower back closer to the bed.  It’s not that he’s scary looking, it’s just, his eyes.  They-they look so sad and hopeless.  Not to mention the scar that runs down from the tip of his left cloudy day eyes down to his chin.  He smiles, pushing the scar up awkwardly.  “See, not so bad.”

            “Wh-what happened?” I ask.

            He looks at me curiously but replies, “Well, you-“

            I shake my head, quickly interrupting, “Not me, I mean, your-you-your-“

            “Face?” He offers, and I feel my face blush, but I quickly nod my head.  I clinch my hands tighter, burying my face in my knees, but keeping my eyes trained on him.  He looks away from me, his eyes looking troubled as they stare at the white wall.  I finally notice the tray of bland food that was set on my stand.  I look away from the food, even though my stomach grumbles.  I watch as his eyes swirl with emotions: grief, loss, sadness, pain, and… shock?  He looks back at me, closing his eyes as he does.  He runs his hands over his face, looking frustrated.  “Experiments.  That’s what happened,” he said, looking at me with those pained eyes. 

.:. Sorry guys, I've been gone to a 6 week camp and I finally got back.  Tell me what you think? .:.