Chapter 36 - A Lie

Kat awoke the following morning with a bit clearer ideas: she didn't know yet what to say but she did know what not to say. After she got up and fixed herself she had gone to check Negan: was still laying still,, wounds were slowly healing and after all he seemed to have slightly resumed. Kat, instead, would have been gone to Alexandria and would have given explanations to Rick. And maybe she would have taken advantage to check if in their infirmary could be something useful for Negan.
She gave a last look at Negan and then closed the door behind her. She had brought the rabbit of the day before and the torch that they borrowed to her. She was a girl of word.

Well, now I just have to go to them and hope that are not too prevented.

Once in front of the gate, before to knocking, she ensured that there weren't Saviors and then it opened.

Rick run by the gate anxious to have an answer.

<Welcome back Kat>

<Hi Rick. I have brought the flashlight and the poor food I found, as you asked> she said showing the rabbit.

It wasn't yet the time to act hard: she had to prove herself reliable and collaborative if she wanted to earn their confidence.

<Thank you, I see you're a girl of word. It's one thing that I respect and that I appreciate> he said smiling friendly.

<But going back to us - he continued - we left something in the making. Come, let's go to my house to discuss it better> he said leading the way.

Once there he let her accommodate to the kitchen table and offered her a glass of lemonade. Kat didn't know what the expected but therefore that could be difficult to Rick, would have never been worse than Negan.

<So Kat, the other night when I asked  you about Negan I saw you reacting very strange... And I'm not so stupid to drink that, if you think of you telling me you don't know him, then I would like to know why you know him. Otherwise I would be forced to cut off our agreement, even if reluctantly>.

He was trying not to scare her but at the same time he wanted to put pressure on her to know the truth.

<Where  can I start from... how I said I was living with my family, then I was for a while with friends, then alone... then I have omitted being for a while also with the Saviors> Rick was listening carefully <but I went with them not for my own free will if you you're asking, I was kidnapped and I haven't had choice. Or rather, I had a choice: them or die. The answer it seemed to me quite obvious>

<How did you run away? Because knowing Negan, for sure he didn't let  you go>

<Yes, I ran away>. So far was all true, then it was easy to be very convincing.

<Ran away? How?> Rick wanted to know every detail to be confident that she wasn't lying.

<At night. I waited that they were all gone to sleep, and that Negan was away with his men and then I have fled. It was not very difficult knowing the place>

<It seems all too easy... but let's say that I believe you. Your knowledge could be useful then>.

Kat pulled a sigh of relief thinking that Rick had finished with her but she was wrong.

<But I still have a question if allow. A bit more personal let's say>

<Sure> she replied doubtful.

<As you will have seen Negan has the strange perversion of having many "wifes" to the Sanctuary with him, and which is very jealous of... and that is, I was wondering why you weren't between those> Rick was slightly embarrassed.

<What makes you think I was not between those? Am I not enough cute for him to you?> snapped Kat hit by a rush of jealousy that had never tried. Then realized what she had just said when she saw the Rick's eyes get even more suspicious.

Shit ... I'm digging my grave by myself. Quickly too. But what was that? Why did I get so taken?

<No I didn't meant that. I mean, you're a beautiful girl and then it seems strange to me that he didn't asked you to stay with him and join the "club"...> now was Rick the one embarrassed.

<However, no. He never asked me> said Kat showing indifferent, even if actually this created a lil wound.
After a few moments of embarrassing silence, Rick spoke the word.

<For now the things you told me are enough. I think you have been sincere with me and I appreciate that: I know that is not easy to trust people of these times>

<Yes, it is not easy to trust...> Kat didn't like lying but this time was forced to do so. More than lie, actually she only had failed to tell the truth, but the thing did feel uncomfortable equally. She knew that to build new relationships was trust was important as well as don't get other people suspicious.

Rick the put his hand on her leg to comfort her, seeing her a bit dark, and thanked. Then he got up and went to the door leaving Kat alone with her thoughts.