Chapter 6 - The Saviors

Kat walked beside Dwight, trying not to look at his disfigured face and wondering how it had happened. Maybe it was an accident. Yes, probably was, could be nothing else. Kat was convinced of this version of the facts.

Meanwhile the two had come to a large common space where Kat first saw what she thought she wouldn't have seen again: people. Many people. All intent on working.

Dwight pointed to a queue at a table and told her to follow him. Once in the queue, the man began to explain in more detail the rules according to which they lived and what these tasks were to be done each one. When it was their turn, Kat was given the job of laundry.

<You could get worse> Dwight laughed.

The girl was quite indifferent to what had just been said, even though all the dynamics of her task had been well explained. She had not yet realized all the implications of that task.

<You'll start right away> Dwight said, pointing to her and showing her where the laundry was.
Upon arrival, Dwight left her alone and went on.

Well, it does not look so bad this place... In the bottom they give me everything I need and in return they just ask me to do something for them. It looks too good to be true. Where is the rubbish? Something does not square.. . We'll see.

Kat began to take clean clothes and bend them.

Negan. What a strange man. Creepy actually... and then that bat, Lucille, my god that thing shakes me.

After about ten minutes the clothes were all set and Kat turned to take a basket down. When she turned she jumped, she took a hand to her chest and started <God!>.
<Well they called me in so many ways but God never... Or at least, not yet>
<You scared me> Kat said
<Really? I'm so ugly to you?> laughed Negan as he approached her.

He was approaching. Too much. Kat had retreated to lean against a table behind her and when Negan was a few inches away from her, he came to her ear and whispered <You haven't  answered the question I just did to you yet...> and then came back to look at her straight in the face not to lose anything of her reaction.

Shit. And now what do I say?
In fact, Kat had never looked at him well, she knew how to recognize him but she had never focused on his details.

If I tell him that he is ugly, of course, he will get angry, but if I tell him that he is not, he might get his head up. I honestly do not even know what to say to him: I have never looked so carefully. To tell the truth I do not even know what color it has eyes. What a shitty situation!

Negan had noticed that the girl was slightly blushing for embarrassment. Kat, however, did not realize that the silence lasted a bit too long since she was totally absorbed in her thoughts.
So Negan passed his finger on the girl's arm, touching her naked skin, causing her to shiver, and said, staring at her eyes. <I understand. Don't worry, it's normal... you're embarrassed. I was just kidding> and saying so, he went back taking back his hand.

God what a strange feeling.