Chapter Five

I watched from the front seat of the limo as the first team got there. About three minutes later, the next team followed slowly in their wake. It wasn't until I saw a large group of people following the second team that I realized just how much work was being directed at me.

Oh, fucking aye!

Every nerve in my body cringed as they slowly followed behind the crews- no one wanting to contaminate the scene, especially in front of their boss. It was like watching a small town parade- only no one was dressed like Elvis or throwing candy. It took twenty minutes for the two teams working together to process the scene up to the limo. Then I had to wait on them to process the damn limo to rule it out of whatever they had found on hand.

I felt like a caged lion. I was about to bite someone's head off. I needed to get the hell out of the car. As soon as they cleared my side of the limo, I was out of it. I walked over to the group that was getting bigger and bigger.

“Okay, who needs assignment and who is here to give me updates?” I asked as soon as I was in front of them.

“Agent Black sent me to give you this.” A blonde woman handed me a folder.

“Thank you. Do you need an assignment?”

“No, ma'am. I'm on data detail. I was the only one with a minute to spare and was sent with the updates to you.” She smiled.

“Thanks, go on and head back to what you were doing.” I hoped that was how I was supposed to handled it.

I had never been in the official part of an investigation when it came to running things. I was in way over my head.

“I need people on surveillance, lab work, and interviews.” I glanced down at the folder.

People broke off from the main group and inched closer to me.

“If you work surveillance, please stand on the left. If you do lab work, the right, and my interviewers in the middle.” My job had somehow been reduced to sorting people.

They scurried to separate themselves.

“Great. For my interviewers, I am going to call in some temporary interview rooms. Once they arrive, you get on the staff and anyone else that needs to be interviewed.” I picked up my phone and called in request.

One thing handled. But it didn't stop the growing number of people in front of me.

“Surveillance, please report to the security and technology people and have them assign you tasks.” It was simple enough to push others on someone else.

I watched them walk back up the way they had come.

“Lab workers, this says that there is a mobile lab set up outside of the estate. Head to it. If more elaborate testing needs to be done- send it to the base.” And off they went.

“Anyone that is part of a team, please separate yourselves into that team.” I looked down at the folder- there were still a good twenty rooms that had not been cleared- shit, half of them were in an area label 'dungeon.'

Once everyone had stopped moving, I had ten teams and a handful of interns. I gave each team a number and assigned them one of the new rooms. It was clear the day was going to be a long one for all involved. I stifled the yawn that was trying to creep its way out. I sent an intern to each of the main heads, their job was to keep everyone informed about what was going on. The one stationed with me was a hunky twenty year old. I pulled up his record on my phone- I was very thankful for the IT department coming up with that feature. He had only been with the agency for six months. He was in line to be an agent as soon as they found a match for him. I wonder if that was what John was before I came around? He was a hybrid. His mother was a troll, and his father was a vampire. I had never heard of supes mixing, but I was fascinated by the thought of it.