Chapter Twenty

As soon as the sun had set, Andrew was at my door. I could feel him pacing outside it. His turmoil was something I could almost see through the wood separating us. He left without knocking, but that didn’t stop me from holding my breath the entire time he was there.

I had absolutely no idea what I was going to say, or if I even should. He opened this box and now I was the one stuck with it. I wasn’t sure where Rex fit in, but I knew that tomorrow night might break whatever I had with Andrew. It didn’t matter if it meant I would save all of the supes, but I wasn’t sure how to explain that to Andrew. He wouldn’t listen anyways, all he knew was what others had seen. Things that I had helped put out there. I sighed in frustration. I really knew how to dig myself a grave.

Two hours later, a soft knock at the door announced Sophie.

“Come in, Soph.” I called from my spot on the bed where I had been since I’d come back.

“I thought I’d bring you something to eat. It seems like there is a lot going on right now.” She slid a tray on the bed.

“You don’t even know the half of it.” I sat forward.

“Kat, even though I am a servant to the Master, you can always talk to me. I’d like to think that you see me as a friend.” Her voice was a little sad.

“Soph, you are my friend. It’s just this time it is so much stuff piled on top of each other. And I’ve no idea what to do, I mean other than what I’ve already got in the works.” I closed my eyes.

“Tell me about it. I’ve got nothing better to do. I ate already. The Master is out, Gus went with him.” She shrugged.

“Well, this case for one. The murders aren’t going to stop. The supes are being exterminated and I need to figure out why. I know it. But I can’t prove it. I’m going to, but I have to leave to do it. Then there’s Andrew. He’s a big, stupid, stubborn ass that thinks he knows what’s best for everyone- which isn’t always the case. And there’s Rex…”

“Who’s Rex?” She interrupted, full of interest.

“He’s an orc.”

“An orc?! Oh my God! I’ve heard that they are horrible creatures.” She said.

“They aren’t. He’s like this total sweetie. But I have this weird connection to him, one I can’t explain. His presence strikes at hidden memories or something. It’s hard to explain and on top of that, I am seriously attracted to him- I don’t know why. And, I had to make it seem like we were more than friends to make sure his business doesn’t suffer from him being my escort at the Depot!” I threw a pillow over my face and laid back.

“I’ve heard of other supes being reduced to slaves out of debt, their businesses folded up around them. It’s a nice gesture, Kat. But I don’t understand why you’re doing it.” She let it hang there.

“I can’t tell you. You’ll tell Andrew!” I huffed from under my pillow.

“I probably will. But I’ll try my best not to.” She laughed.

“He’s coming with me on my journey! The one I couldn’t take Andrew because he’s a vampire.” I tossed the pillow to the floor and sat up.

“Eat. Andrew is a big boy and although I’m sure he’ll be upset and jealous at first, he’d see the wisdom of you not going alone.” She smiled hopefully at me.

“You know that isn’t true as much as I do. I have to spend the night at the Depot tomorrow. I’ll be leaving the next morning. I really don’t know what to do.” I sipped on the soup she had brought up.