Chapter Eleven

The coffee was delicious. I was hesitant to eat the cookies because they were a green color.

“Don't be afraid. Our flour is made from a plant similar to your wheat, but it grows green where we live.” Rex told me as he took a hearty bite from his cookie.

“Sorry, green food generally isn't a good thing here.” I nibbled the edge.

It was wonderful. I couldn't put my finger on the flavor, but it was similar to chocolate, only better. I bit into a nut that had been caramelized.

“Oh, yum. What type of cookie is it?” I asked.

“We call them 'crunch bites,' they're made with coola nuts and choconim. It's something that we borrowed from your cocoa beans, but it changed as it adapted to our world.” He sipped his coffee.

“Are the nuts covered in something?” I vaguely wondered what other delicious adaptions they had.

“Toffee.” He smiled.

“Perfect combination. So do you often challenge vampires?” I said causally.

“Nah. Just when the mood strikes. We don't often have vampires walk through the Depot. They like to send their pets.” He looked at Henry.

“I like to see things myself.” I looked hard at him.

“I suspect that there's something else too. You don't strike me as a regular vampire. When you live with magick and come to place that doesn't really have any, you can sense it on those that carry it. I won't tell. You're the first vampire that I've met that has magick.” His eyes narrowed as he tried to figure me out.

“Mistress, it's time for your other meeting.” Henry quickly said before I could tell Rex just what I was.

“That's unfortunate. Perhaps in three days, I'll be the one that can get a meal in with you.” Rex held out his hand to me.

I took the hand, but didn't respond. I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with the handsome orc looking at me, or the strange connection I felt to Henry's uncle.

“Until we meet again, Mistress Kat.” Rex kissed the back of my hand.

“Until then.” I felt my cheeks blush.

Henry led the way out of the orc area.

“They weren't brutish at all.” I said.

“You almost had your head smashed in and you don't call them brutish?” Henry snorted.

“I was fine. I even won.” I crossed my arms.

“Kat, he could have crushed you. I don't know why he let you win. Orcs don't normally act the way Rex did. I'd be cautious when dealing with him.” Henry warned me.

“Wow. Aren't you a little ball of freaking sunshine.” I sneered.

“I've been in this world longer than you have. I have good reasons to worry.” Henry said cryptically.

“Ah, you two have returned. By the look on your faces, I think it is definitely time for a break.” Maddock said with a knowing smile.

“I brought her back when you asked, Uncle.” Henry said.

“Hmm. Henry, I think I can handle Mistress Kat for a little bit. You can go over to the goblin area if you'd like.” Maddock said to his nephew.

“I've been put in charge of her welfare, Uncle.” Henry was clearly torn.

“Go on, Henry. Your uncle won't let anything happen to me.” I smiled.

Henry walked off.

“I'm sorry for his attitude. He's had a rough path being of different worlds.” Maddock told me.

“It's okay. I know how it is. I also have a stubborn streak and your nephew seems to have one too.” I laughed.

“Yes. Yes, he does. How did you enjoy the elf and orc areas?” Maddock gestured we walk.

“The elves are rude. They have a seer's orb I want, but they won't sell to me. Bastards. The orcs weren't brutish at all. I got to spar with Rex. And I won.” I was smug.

“You beat an orc in the sparing ring?” Maddock stopped and looked at me.

“What? Why does everyone think I'm so weak?” I was getting pissed.

“It's not that. It's just unusual. Orc don't typically challenge vampires and I've never heard of an orc losing.” Maddock rubbed his chin.

I sighed.

“I'm not saying that you didn't do it. I'm just cautious to see the results of this.” I had a feeling the trolls didn't do well with the orcs.

“Did I do something wrong?”

“Not at all. I assume Rex issued the challenge. If you beat him, then it will be his rep that is at stake. I'd watch out for him wooing you. You'll be a sort of prize. He won't be the only orc to try and win you over.” Maddock chuckled.

“You've got to be kidding me. Andrew is not going to like this.” I shook my head.

“Don't worry. Master Andrew will see the humor in you beating an orc. Did you use magick?” Maddock asked.

“No. Henry made sure to remind me, repeatedly, that I not use my power. But Rex said he sensed magick on me. I'm not sure how to handle this.” I was honest.

“Easy, don't go back to the orc area. They'll be gone soon enough.” Maddock shrugged, his blue shoulders flexing with the movement.

“Well, that's gonna be a problem. I got some very beautiful leather wears. I said I'd be back in three days to get them.” I felt like a foolish kid.

“I'd say to send Henry, but they would take it as an insult. Perhaps Andrew could come? Although he almost never comes to the Depot.” Maddock said.

“Maybe you could go with me?” The words came shooting out of my mouth before I could stop them.

“That would be possible. In three days I have my day off.” He smiled at me.

“Maddock, I need to talk to you about Hotchkins.” I switched tracks- knowing I could easily get lost in his beautiful orange eyes.

“So you mentioned earlier.”

“He's missing.” I told him.

“It's been rumored around the Depot.” We stopped in a small eating area.

“Anything else been said?” I asked.

“Let me get us some food. Then we can retire to my quarters.” He told me.

“Quarters?” I thought Maddock lived in Upland.

“Yes. I stay here. It's not like you could see a giant blue man walking down Ventura boulevard.” He laughed.

“Oh, right.” I felt like an idiot.