Chapter Seventeen

I woke in a serious sweat. There was something wrong and I knew it. I just couldn’t figure out what it was. I checked my phone, but it was silent. I slipped on my Chucks and headed downstairs. This was serious and I suspected it had to do with Andrew.

“Andrew?” I called out to the quiet house.

When he didn’t answer I was positive it was him. I was feeling his distress through whatever bond we had. I went to Sophie’s door and pounded on it.

“Sophie, wake up! WAKE UP!” I shouted, my fist thumping on the wood.

“What on Earth?” She asked.

“I think there is something wrong with Andrew. I need to know where he went to meet the wolves.” I told her.

“I’m not sure. Let me call Gus.” She went back to her nightstand and called. “He isn’t answering.”

I swallowed down the fear threatening to take over.

“Why do you think there is something wrong?” Her eyes huge in the night.

“I can sense it. I’m going to try to track him. I have to help him. Call one of his underlyings and see if you can get someone else going after him. I don’t know how well I can do this.” I headed for the door.

“Kat, take a weapon or something. Don’t head into whatever is causing him distress unarmed.” She called.

I ran back upstairs and clipped my gun holder on. I also slipped on my silver throwing daggers. I had no clue what I was up against, but I was about as ready as I could get in a few minutes. I rushed back downstairs.

“They said the same thing as you. I hope you find him.” She told me.

“I’ll try my best.” I sprinted out of the house.

The cold night air hit me like a truck, but I ignored it. This wasn’t the time to focus on being uncomfortable. Andrew was in trouble and I needed to find him. I stood in the yard turning, trying to get the best reading I could from him. As soon as it was stronger I headed that direction. It was like searching for a signal on your cellphone when you hold it up and move you hand to try and catch it- only I was moving my body and I was looking for a hurting vampire.

An hour later I was standing just outside of some weird ass compound. I knew of two sentries, but I wasn’t sure about any more. Every hit that struck Andrew, sent a burning blow to me. They were using his weaknesses against him and I could feel it. The wind shifted around me and I found myself surrounded by some of his children.

“Mistress.” They bowed to me.

“There are at least two sentries. I don’t know what they are packing, but at this point I don’t care. We need to get him out.” I told them.

I watched them nod and two large vampires headed off to confront the sentries. They went down silently. We inched forward. I looked over the entrance to the compound and held up my hand. There was something that told me not to go this way.

“We must go over it. Jump, but not directly over the doorway. Remember that if you are headed out quickly. Am I understood?” I hoped they would remember, the mechanisms on the passage looked deadly.

They went over without any problems. I followed behind. I watched several spread out to find any other sentries that might be making their rounds. My bond with him pulled me to him, they flanked me. When I hit the door that had Andrew on the other side, it exploded inwards.

“Where is my vampire?” I called out, my voice matching what I could only assume would be similar to a crazed demon.

He didn’t call out, but I felt him peek up.