Pink-Petunias : Task #1: Purgatory

Task #1: Purgatory

Your first task will be to create a story about a girl/boy that was somehow transported into Purgatory.

Please forgive me if I do something wrong having to so with the site or the way my book thing is set up, I'm still very new and have never written anything here before.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds. Silence. Bright light. Darkness. Falling.

I awoke sitting criss-cross applesauce on soft dirt, surrounded by tall grass and a few purple wildflowers. Naturally, he first thing I did was look down at myself. I was a girl. I was wearing a little-too-big lime green tee shirt and grey basketball shorts with black and light blue flip-flops. I had long blonde hair that reached to my elbows.

I tried to think. What was my name?

My name was Marcella.

How old was I?

I was 13.

Where was I and why was I here?

. . .

Something happened. What was it?

I hazily remembered a loud sound or two before a warm feeling and silence.

I decided to stand.

As I stood I looked around and took in more of my surroundings. I was in a large meadow covered in overgrown grass that reached to just below my knees and hundreds of wildflowers of all colors, shapes, species and sizes. A few I could name, a lot I couldn't. A few trees that seemed to be heavy with fruit were dotted around the meadow.

On my left side, a few yards away, a rickety old set of wooden stairs led down into the ground so far that I couldn't see the end. On my right stood a tall metal ladder that rose high into the sky, the top swallowed by the large puffy clouds. And directly in front of me about twenty yards away there was a long yellow wooden bridge crossing a babbling stream, the ends of both hidden by dense fog. Lighter fog covered the bridge and a few feet in front of it.

"Hello," A soft voice said from behind me.

I spun around and saw a girl that looked to be in her late teens, with black hair and dark brown eyes. She was wearing a puffy powder blue dress and wore no shoes.

"I am Delilah," The girl spoke again.

"Where am I? Am . . . am I dead?" I asked softly.

"I'm afraid so," She smiled a bit sympathetically, "Right now you're in Purgatory. It's the place where you are judged and get sent to Heaven or Hell. Or," She paused, "in your case, are given a choice. You were killed by a gunshot to your abdomen fired from the gun of a criminal. Right now your body is in an ambulance and they are doing everything they can to save you. Your heart stopped. You are young and never have committed a major sin. You could go to Heaven right now.

"Or you could choose to to go back. It will be painful because you did just get shot, but you would live for a long while and remember none of this. And I'm not saying you would be happy if you went back, or if given the same choice again you would pick the same one. I will give you some time to decide. Feel free to walk around, eat some of the fruit of the trees, play with the animals," She waved her hand toward a large group of dogs, cats, hamsters, lizards, snakes, lions, bears, and a number of other animals in the middle of the meadow. I was sure that they had not been there before.

As I turned my head back to Delilah I found an empty space that she had occupied only a moment ago. I shrugged it off, figuring she was an angel of some sort and could fly or teleport or move at the speed of light or whatever.