Chapter Nineteen

Dear Harry,

 I don't know how your summer has been, but I know you must have gotten yourself into some trouble or other by now.

 My summer has been nothing but quiet. My parents took me to a house in Nova Scotia, and I haven't really done anything besides pace around my room or the entire house or the yard outside while worrying about everything back at home. I really have no clue what my parents are thinking because they're always so quiet, but I know they must be worried, too.

 I wish I could actually send this letter to you, Harry. I have no idea where I would send it, because I don't know where you're going to be, and my parents would tell me it's too dangerous to be sending letters, anyway. They don't want anyone to know where we are.

 I miss you.

                                                                                                                              Love,
                                                                                                                              Declan

Dear Harry,

 It's September now, and my dad moved us to an apartment in New York. I'm so used to the quiet of the Irish countryside everything here seems completely foreign to me. The apartment building we live in is big and crowded, and the apartment itself is rather small.

 I think my parents were actually considering sending me to a muggle school for this year. But I heard them get into a fight about it last night, and I don't think I'm going now. I think they're afraid that I won't have any idea what the other students have been and won't be able to keep up, and eventually someone will discover I'm a wizard.

 Now they want to teach me what I would have been learning this year at Hogwarts themselves. I know they're trying, Harry, but I really don't know how I feel about my parents teaching me all that. It's been years since they were in Hogwarts. How much do they really remember?

                                                                                                                                              Love, 
                                                                                                                                              Declan

Dear Harry,

 There's a boy about our age in the apartment across from mine. He lives there with his parents, but the parents don't seem like nice people. The father comes home late at night a lot, and I think he's usually dunk, and I always hear the parents screaming at each other. You might it's strange that I've taken the time to observe all this, but I have very little else to do.

 I got to meet the boy as he was coming home from school this afternoon. I was hanging around in the hallway because I didn't have much else to do, and he walked up and asked if I was one of 'the new people'. I said I was, and was going to introduce myself, but remembered we have fake names now, so I'm Damian Kelly until further notice. I told him we just recently came from Ireland, because with my accent there's no point in lying about that. He said his name is James Wilkinson, and that he's never met anyone from Ireland before. When he asked me where I go to school, I said, "I don't right now. I just stay home and learn from my parents, really," and he said he's never met anyone who's homeschooled before.

 "I guess your parents have to have to knack for it," he said. "I doubt mine do."

 He went inside soon after, saying he had 'homework' to do. I think I'll try to talk to him again as soon as I can. 

                                                                                                                                                   Love,
                                                                                                                                                   Declan

Dear Harry,

 I would write more often, but there's so little to write about. My parents don't want me doing too much magic in the apartment, and I can't do any outside, so I mostly read all day.

 I have run into James Wilkinson a few times in the hallway, and when he tried to ask about my family, I just said we were trying to find a nice new life here in New York. He seemed skeptical, but I think he believed it in the end. I don't think he's the believing type.