Chapter Eleven

The sun was starting to set. Evening had come, and soon night would descend upon the earth.

They had finished lunch hours ago, now sitting in the living room, resting. Itunu stared at the 43' inch TV. It had not been turned on ever since Hameed disappeared.

Hameed. It was too painful to think about.

She looked at her cousin Dami, who was standing in between her father's legs, making meaningless sounds. She was so cute, Itunu thought. Her hair was neatly done in puff puff style with hair ruffles, and her baby hairs were so cute. She wore shorts and a pink top.

The small girl had no idea of what was going on.

Few minutes later, Modupe's phone rang. It felt like deja vu. She excused herself and went into the dining room.

She checked the caller ID. It was her husband, Tunde.

What now, she thought. She rolled her eyes and picked the call, holding the phone against her ear.

"Hello?" She heard him say on the other side of the line.

"Hello," she replied.

"Hey, Modupe. I...I just wanted to apologise for how I...talked to you. I'm sorry."

Modupe was surprised that her husband apologised to her. He never did that. She couldn't remember the last time he ever apologised to her, yet he offended her frequently.

Am I in a toxic marriage? She wondered.

She exhaled deeply. "That...that's okay."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I forgive you."

He heaved a sigh of relief. "Ah, thank you. How's the situation now? Still the same?"

She sighed, "Yes oh. He's still missing. I don't even understand."

"Damn. Anyway, I hope he's found early. As soon as possible, so you can come home to me."

She smiled at his words. Just like that, Modupe had forgotten her previous thoughts, and how he treated her."I hope so too."

"Okay Dear. I love you. I have to go now."

She nodded, even though he couldn't see her. "Okay. I'll talk to you later."

Click. The line was off.

She exhaled again, dropping her phone on the table.

She would have gone back to the living room immediately, but she felt thirsty. She went to the water dispenser, reaching on top of it to take a glass cup to drink water when her side mistakenly hit the tray continuing the glass cups, making a small glass cup tumble down and break into pieces.

She placed her hands on her waist. "I just wanted water," she sighed to herself.

Meanwhile, in the living room, the silence in the living room was too uncomfortable for Tamilore, so when she heard her phone ring, she was thankful.

She picked up the phone, not even bothering to excuse herself. Checking the caller ID, she realised it was her sister Modupe's husband. Surprised, she picked it up.

"Hello Sir," she said.

"Hello? M-Tamilore, how are you?"

"I'm okay, Sir."

"I just heard the...the news. I'm calling to offer my condolences. I'm so sorry to hear this..."

But Tamilore had zoned out. When he finished talking, she said, "Alright Sir. Thank you...for calling us."