Chapter 6

"We need to divide our military into two," Cassander suggested, "one shall go and cover the northern areas and the second group shall go to the southern part."

"Hmm," Myron rubbed his chin, "which group will you accompany?"

"I am going to the north. Since her kidnapper is most likely from the other side, snowflakes will accompany his presence so he needs an area where he can fit in."

"I agree," Isidoros chimed in, "for he knows he will be easily found in the south by the military. What do you think Gaios?"

"I am not quite certain. I am feeling her presence somewhere around here." Gaios pointed on the map.

"We have already looked behind the fields. We did not find any sign of them there." Cassander stated.

"You dare to question my brother's abilities?" Myron got up in anger from his throne, "if he says that Fire is there it means she is there. I command you to search behind the fields again!" He yelled.

Cassander clenched his fist, "As you wish, your majesty." He exited the main hallway of the castle.

"Wait!" His father followed him.

"What? I do not have time for a useless colloquium father, I need to go find Fire." Cassander scrawled at his father.

"Son," Isidoros reached out to touch his cheek but Cassander took a step back, "I know that the king can be repugnant sometimes, but in the world of politics you must never show mercy. He was able to recognize and apply it without discrimination which is why he is our leader today."

"I have never asked to be involved in this, so to tell you the truth father, I could care less about the type of techniques a king has to use in order to lead his nation."

Isidoros opened his mouth to speak but he had no arguments. Many screams were stuck in his mouth. They were gashing his throat like many thorns, but he could not do anything about it.

"Goodbye, father." He didn't wait for a response. He snagged his armour from the armchair and walked out of the castle.

                                             He watched his sleeping beauty enjoy a deep slumber by the fireplace. Expressions couldn't portray her beautiful amber eyes, nor can it characterize the smoothness of her hands in which he had felt ecstasy. Oh, and her tangled mess of curls reminded him of the golden warm sun rays in a blissful morning— though she's a brunette. Yet even if he tried, he cannot— for words fail to describe her.

She slowly lifted her eyelids to see the brute— L, watching her.

"Good morning," her soft voice tickled his ears. Whenever he looks at her, everything else around them turns grey— as if they were two hearts who shared the same beat. Yesterday was the first time in his life he felt amenity, intimacy, and exhilaration. For the first time in his life, L felt alive.

"I am going to get some food for us," he kissed her forehead, he loved her distinctive fragrance— she smelled the way she looks, innocent. "Do not go anywhere."

"I won't." She promised. Unfortunately, that was a promise she could not keep. They both wanted to adjust themselves accordingly but the universe has already painted their fates in two different colours.

Cassander followed Gaios's suggestion and was now looking behind the fields. His eyes were searching for a sign, and then he noticed a blue butterfly! Aha! Gaios was right! He followed the blue butterfly to an isolated hut. He cautiously reached for his sword and looked through the window, and there she was... The love of his life. For the past week she has been hidden between his heart beats now she is finally in front of him. He looked for a sign of the kidnapper but it seems that she was alone.

Fire was making the bed when the door opened.

"You came back earl-" she stopped and so did her heart. In front of her was the wall that will separate her from her new lover. Perhaps she did not realize this yet because she was in a state of turbulence, mayhem she already realized it the moment she saw Cassander. Either way, the ending remains the same and Cassander was back to take her home.

"I have missed you!" Cassander rushed to hug her.

"I do not want to go." She said knowing what he was about to do.

"What?"

"Please Cassander," her eyes disobeyed her and started shedding tears, "If you love me go back home and tell Myron that you did not find me. I beg you!"

"What about your parents? I promised them that I will bring you back."

"I shall secretly visit them, but please do not take me back. That place is no longer home for me... Home is where you feel a sense of belonging and I never did there." She pleaded.

"So this old dusty cottage is your home?" He said disgustingly.

"My home is someone." She lowered her gaze in shame.

"You ran away with a lover?!" He shouted, "all this time we thought you were here against your will but instead you have been selfishly enjoying a lad's company?"

"No, it is a long story! Meet me here tomorrow and I will explain it to you, but please go now before L comes back." She pushed him towards the door.

"L?" He stiffened, "Fire... Do you know who that is?"

"Yes," she blushed, "he is a pathway between my heart and soul. He is the torch of light that keeps me warm at night and guides me through darkness. And if you take me away from him, it will rain tonight. But it won't be rain that you see, it will be tears that I shall weep until he returns to me."

"Fire stop this none sense this very second," he shook her shoulders, "you have only been with him for few days yet you are already intoxicated by love?"

"We can all find love quickly," she smiled, "some of us simply forget to meet love halfway."

"What about me?" He caressed her cheeks, "you were the only thing that kept loneliness away."

"No!" She pushed him, "I am nothing but a slave for you! Your kind came to colonize us claiming that you are a saviour while echoes of tortured Astéris are heard from a distance. You sang melodiously as my people were being killed if they God forbid decide to not serve your King. What kind of love do you have for me?"

"The kind that L will never be able to feel. Fire, he is Lucifer!"

The mere sound of his name made the universe go silent, and he was not there to be her sound. She looked blankly at Cassander as L's full name triggered many memories. The first time she heard his name was when she was a teen. Her grandmother sat comfortable on a rocking chair while tattooing tribal symbols on Fire's back.

"Do you want to know about the devil?" She did not wait for Fire to respond, "his skin is as white as snow, his lilac eyes- the shade of Eden held more waves than the sea of phosphenes. His lips were decorated with lies and his tongue burned hearts. He caused more damage in this world than the Alpha's Gods. He walked in beauty in nameless cities not to dwell but to steal peace. He survived on other's sorrows without remorse. Like a summer moon you would only feel his presence for a while, but oh did his destruction last more than the winter. The universe did not rest until he was finally captured."