Chapter 1

It was snowing! It never snowed in here. And certainly, the white flakes shouldn't be filling her bedroom. Not with the windows closed.  And those blue butterflies, where did they come from? It was mid Winter. That's not what they taught her in high school. Butterflies hatch in summer! A grumpy look swallowed her face. Since the arrival of the Alphas, everything has changed.
As she was wandering around the house, she sensed a presence not far away. Someone— something was behind her. She could feel its cold breath on her neck. A very cold breath, indeed. She ignored the fricative sound from behind as she strode across the room. The Alphas told her to bring something dear to the field. They never tell her why, they just order what to do.  She searched all over the room but her dear harp was nowhere to be found. A faint laugh echoed in the empty house. This time, she was brave enough to turn around.

"Show yourself!" She cleared her throat, "I know you are hiding somewhere."

The house remained silent. Her parents were in the field and so were the neighbours. Who could it be? The thought of somebody following her made her hackles rise. The Alphas have crossed the lines. She  wasn't a baby, she didn't need a guardian! Oh no, Fire Stewart was a strong shrew of twenty years old. She shook her head to shake the thoughts away. She grabbed her grandmother's necklace and ran to the field.

                                                            The field looked like a painting made by a talented draftsman. Soft grass tickled her bare feet. Daisies of all colors surrounded her. They swayed in the steady breeze. Her raven black hair joined them. The melody of flowing water in the brook mixed with a light chirping sound made by the festive birds teased her ears. The blue sky stretched to the horizon. Clouds stashed away the bright sun for tomorrow. Because tomorrow, the chosen ones are going to brawl for a title. Fire Stewart was not concerned. The Alphas promised her the title of an Astéri. Astéris are wardens. Finally, her fist is going to serve the world.

"Attention please," a familiar voice pulled her back to reality, "we asked you to bring something dear from your belongings. Please put it on the table right there."

Chatters filled the field. Everybody wondered and craved to know. But they eventually listened and obediently  placed their dear belongings on the table. Fire Stewart clenched her fist around the necklace. It was the only memory of her grandmother. She sighed and did as ordered.   

"Fire!" Cassander bawled out, "where were you?" He asked once he approached her.

"As if you don't know," she rebuked.

"What do you mean?" She searched his deep lilac eyes suspiciously for some indication of dishonesty.

"Didn't you send somebody to follow me?" She questioned.

"Why would we do that?" Confusion was clear in his voice.

She was quiet for a moment. Then her shaky voice spoke again, "somebody was in my house."

He stiffened, "what did you see?"

"Nothing.. Well, it was snowing in the neighborhood and there were blue butterflies in my bedro—"

"Snow? Blue butterflies?" A flame of anger shimmered in his eyes, "wait here. Don't move!"

"But the training's about to start!"

"Fire," his eyes softened, "I fear that you're in great danger."

                                            Myron sat on the green ground, checking his hourglass every five seconds. He wiped his forehead with a tissue and cursed under his breath.  He felt wrath boiling up. Fear continued to gnaw at him while many nefarious ideas were crossing his mind. He shouldn't have allowed her to go out without company.