Prologue

Copyright © 2018

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. 

He was like an ice mountain. Cold, strong, and his top was out of reach. He was a good dancer too! Oh, he knew how to dance. People called him the dancing devil.

I remember the day we met, I wasn't completely aware yet I wasn't in a state of heedlessness. He found me inconsistent and undone. I was just a scattered mess and a whirlwind of broken dreams, but then he stitched me and made me whole. I am just what he made me to be... And when he showed me hell, I made it our little piece of heaven. To him, I was hatred, however hate was his first love. His piercing lilac eyes made them prostrate themselves before him. But not me. I wasn't as foolish as them. Nonetheless, I threw the cautions to the wind, and loved him. He was like a noble deuce. The very devil that snatched my inhuman heart and I couldn't firmly refuse. How can I refuse when his bittersweet words still ring in my youthful ears? You don't blame me, do you? It was not my fault! My heart has become a persistent enjoyer of evil and I could not tame it. And though he was to me unknown, he had managed to induce an estrangement between my heart and mind.

He slouched against the wall like a rambler. The devious fate certainly did not expect him to be seen walking on this familiar abyss again. It thought that from society he'd disappear till flames ruin his face and becomes hard to recognize. Sadly for the fate, he was more hot-headed than it. Infallibly, in his pain the enemies have found pleasure. With bearish words their tongues never ceased to harm him. Like lions waiting for the right moment to hunt a fawn down, they wished to devour him. But he was no fawn. With his confidence he shall witness his victory as they humbly bow to their future leader. Tonight, he shall conquer them all once his master gives him a second chance. The Alphas will pay for throwing him in Hell and his vengeance shall be fed, but never his addiction. He needed another smoke. He reached in his pocket.

"Damn," he cursed.

His last pack rested on the table and he was too drunk to walk. He let out a sigh of despair and dragged his feet back to the waiting room of his master's castle. "I am never going to leave you again, babe." He tapped the cigarette a couple of times before lighting it. He put it to his lips. He brought his tongue up to nearly touch the butt of the cigarette in order to enjoy all the smoke that passes along. He inhaled feeling the robust, heavy, bitter smoke making its way to his lungs. He exhaled his worries. A big white cloud of smoke colonized the dark room. A frown crossed his face. Somehow, the pale moon was not generous as usual. Despite the moonlight that penetrated through the windows, it didn't consume the darkness. But he didn't mind. The cigarette was already calming his aching soul. Yet, he put the cancer stick back in his mouth and inhaled. It felt like Heaven. He hummed while observing the beautiful palette of the night sky. The scene offered him a moment of meditation.

Agathe just walked in, "he's ready to meet you."

"What took him so long?"

"We don't ask questions here. You know that, L."

L didn't respond, he tapped the ashes into the ashtray and walked towards his master's office. Hesitantly, he placed his trembling hands on the cold doorknob and opened the door. He was welcomed by a gust of cruel air that carried a familiar deadly smokecigarettes' smoke. Warily, he moved his feet to enter the silent room. His eyes scanned the room carefully. Ah! And there he was... His master was looking out of the window. He looked broken yet he had a placid look on his face.

"I believe you have a chance to offer." L smirked.

"Your last chance, L." His master glared at him. "It seems that the Alphas are going to recruit more Astéris for the next war. My sources confirm that they favor one Astéri. The reason why is still obscure but she seems powerful enough to hold their interest."

"You want me to kill her." L finished.

"Worse," his master said, "I want you to bring her down here so we can use her power to destroy them."

"If I do this, will you free me?"

"Only if you succeed."

"And who shall take my place in the cage?"

"The Astéri."

L shrugged his shoulders. Astéris were brainless creatures who obediently served the Alphas so seducing a rebellious Astéri down to this pit should be easy.

"Okay," L accepted the deal, "but I cannot leave this pit unless you free me."

His master smiled, "Agathe will give you something that'll allow you to travel to earth."

L raised his eyebrow, "what makes you think that I won't escape?"

"You will know the answer once you receive the thing." His master turned his attention back to the window. The only window in the pit that allows his kind to watch the Other Side of the Alphas. Hesitantly, L placed his trembling hands on the cold doorknob and closed the door behind him.

"Agathe, you have something for me." His statement sounded like a question.

Agathe nodded and handed L a ring. The shank had some writings engraved in it and the center stone held a cadmium yellow liquid.

"Is this a Pórta ring?"

Agathe nodded again. "You will be able to stay on earth only for few months."

L wore the ring. Strangely it fit. He glanced at Agathe and saw curiosity before his very eyes. He could sense his friend's tongue trembling behind his lips; dying to ask. Both savages stared at each other: one slobbering all over to hear a story, while the other was considering telling him.

L sighed, "I can't tell you about the deal, Agathe. All you need to know is that I am bringing an Astéri down here."

Agathe smirked, "I am looking forward tasting an Astéri's pain."