Butterfly wishes - Chapter Two

Butterfly Wishes  2

“Hey Ella,” Elijah said after a few moments of silence. I gulped and slowly turned around to come face to face with him.

I gasped when I noticed that he was no longer in a wheelchair, but standing tall with a small smile playing at his lips. Figured I suppose, it was his special day.

I turned my attention to the door and put my hand out to pull on the handle, however just before my hand could touch it, Elijah stepped forward and pulled it open.

“I am perfectly capable of opening a door for myself,” I said as I glared at him.

He smiled “I know. But I was just being nice.” His eyes twinkled with amusement. I sighed and walked through the door, not wanting to spend any longer with him than necessary.

“Ella,” he called just as I had walked forward a few steps. I paused, debating whether I should turn around or not. In the end curiosity got the better of me, and slowly I turned my head.

“Yes?” I asked trying to not look him directly in the eyes.

“It’s nice to see you, and...Thanks for coming. Lilly and I appreciate it.” He said finally after his initial pause when I turned.

I just gave him a small nod and turned on my heel, continuing my mission on finding the reception table, luckily as I walked further into building, a sign that read reception came into view. As I approached the desk I realised that there was nobody actually sitting at the table so I decided to take a seat on the chocolate brown leather couch and picked up a newspaper that was dated with yesterdays date.

My eyes scanned the main headlines; there was one that caught my eye in particular. It was about my brother Noah, whom I hadn’t had any contact with for about eighteen months. Somehow, rather miraculously, in my opinion he was a professional football player. Though fortunately for me, he was part of Atletico Madrid’s squad which meant that I didn’t have to worry about him stumbling drunk into the house at ridiculous time of the night or other various things that he liked to do.

I put the paper back on the coffee table, closed my eyes and sighed.

“Excuse me madam?” a voice called after a minute or so. My eyes shot open and landed on a woman who was leaning over the counter and frowning a little.

I quickly got up and walked over to the desk.

“Hi,” I said as I placed my bag down and opened it frantically trying to find my invite.

The receptionist looked on with amusement as I tipped all the contents of my bag trying to find the stupid piece of cream card. When everything was out I tipped the bag upside down and still couldn’t find it!

“Perhaps you should check in the side pockets?” the lady suggested pushing her glasses further up her nose.

I pulled the zip on the side pocket and did a little victory dance as I felt my fingers touch the rough edge of the card.

“Here.” I said as I placed it in front of her.

She smiled and took it out of the envelope and then proceeded to tap the keys on her keyboard. After a few seconds she grinned “Found you!”

“Great.” I said raising my eyebrows a little.

“OK, so here’s the card for your room, lifts are just down the corridor and then to your left. You are on the eleventh floor. Enjoy the wedding and your stay at the hotel.” She pointed to an area behind me on the far right “That’s the breakfast room, breakfast starts at six am.”

I thanked her and pulled my bags up, took the card and headed towards the lifts. There were six of them; I pressed the arrow signalling up and stood back to wait.

When the lift on my left pinged I shifted my bags ready to head in, when the lift opened I quickly got in and selected number eleven. When the lift stopped I picked my bag up ready to get out and slammed right into a guy walking in.

“Hey! Ella! It’s you!” I looked up the cheerful voice and smiled. It was Kian, a huge grin worked its way on my face.

“Oh my God Kian! It’s so good to see you!” I stepped forward and hugged him. “How are you doing?” I asked.

“Really good actually, I’ve recently gotten a new job at Queen Elizabeth, which is great because I have to travel far less and I get to spend more time with the kids, so been feeling far less stressed.” he told me with his eyes shining brimmed with happiness and delight.

“Aw that’s great! I’m so happy for you,” I said chuckling a little at his very happy self.

“How about you?” he asked me then.

“Things are going good.” I said nodding my head. I looked down at my luggage “I’m super tired a lot though,” I said with a yawn “You don’t think it could be something serious do you?” I added as an afterthought remembering healthcare was his field of speciality.

“Probably not Ella, maybe you’re overworked or something.” He suggested, smiling at me and chuckling at my mouth which wide in mid yawn again. “You should take a nap, I think that the get-together dinner is at eight, which leaves you with a few hours to sleep.” He said looking down at his watch.

“That’s a good idea.” I agreed with him. “I guess I’ll see you lot later.”

“Yeah, by the way is the boyfriend here yet? He won’t answer any of Mia’s calls, she’s been getting a little worried.” he enquired referring to my boyfriend's sister.

“Oh, he’s um, not coming, something about doing some last minute errand, I’m not exactly sure what.” I replied “He’s okay though.” I added.

Kian smiled and nodded “Ah yes, well alright then, we’ll see you later.” He quickly rushed into the lift leaving me feeling a little confused.

Oh well I thought to myself as I headed down the corridor trying to find my room. After the far end of the corridor was room 1106. I inserted my card into the pocket and pushed the door open when the green light flashed. A smiled worked its way onto my face as I drank in all the features of my room which consisted of a basket of goodies; lots of chocolate and my favourite drinks; strawberry milkshake and sprite, a kind size bed that had a velvety blue throw laying across it, I squealed in excitement and hugged the soft material to my face, at least my room was okay even if I wasn’t exactly the happiest person on the planet to be here at the wedding.

It wasn’t that I hadn’t gotten over Eli, because I had, I now had a way better boyfriend whom I loved very dearly, there was just something about the whole way everything had happened that made me sort of despise him and as for Lilly, I had no idea how I would resist the urge to pull her blonde locks out. I couldn’t stand that girl at all.

I sighed as thoughts of the sickening couple flooded into my mind and dumped my bags into the corner of the room by the desk. I stretched my arms and walked over to the bed, it would really be a good idea to catch some sleep and rid my mind of these thoughts. I pulled the white duvet from where it had been neatly tucked into the side of the bed and climbed in and sighed out blissfully as I sunk into the bed.

 Since I was so tired it wasn’t long before I was sleeping peacefully, unfortunately it didn’t last long, as just I had drifted off into dreamland, a loud knocking at my door woke me from my slumber.