Butterfly wishes - Chapter One

Going back to Birmingham had not exactly been part of any of my plans, especially within two years of moving from the city. But here I was at the train station with my floral print little suitcase ready to board the train.

Luckily for me, it was pretty quiet; unlike most times, was which was something good at least. After about twenty long minutes the train pulled into the station (you may be wondering why I was bothering with the hassle of the train when I could have driven- it was because my boyfriend was borrowing it for the day, I had no idea how he had managed to drive his own into a ditch for probably the tenth time in the year and had called me up last night begging if I could borrow his).

During the journey I fell asleep since I was awfully tired, which was not unheard of these days when it came to me. I made a mental note in my head to book an appointment as soon as Monday morning rolled around.

When the train pulled into new street station, it was a wonder how I managed to walk out of the train not looking like I was on drugs; I sighed and dragged my trolley off to the nearest block of toilets where I could freshen up. Looking at my reflection in the rectangle mirror I sighed not sure how long it would take me to look half decent. Dumping my bag on the sink I roughly pulled on the zipper to grab a few items, first I selected my hairbrush and quickly tried to untangle the knots that had formed while I’d been napping, and then I ran the tap and tried to wipe off what looked like drool from my chin. After applying a very light layer of foundation and some watermelon flavoured lip balm on my lips, I swung my bag on my shoulder and pulled on the handle of my luggage and made my way to the exit.

It took me an age to hail a taxi, about fifteen of them totally ignored me even though I was waving and made sure to stand I was in full view.

“Where to?” the taxi driver asked as I slammed the door of his silver Volkswagen shut.

I quickly dug my hand into pocket trying to locate the paper with the address scribbled on it.

“Umm...to the Old rose and Crown hotel,” I said to him, adding a please as an afterthought. The traffic was horrendous and the taxi driver and I shared an uncomfortable silence. After twenty unbearable quiet minutes he looked at me in the mirror and cleared his throat.

“Off to a wedding?” he asked.

I sighed “yeah.” I replied quietly. I could see his frown in the mirror and continued “I’m not really very close with either of the two getting married. I’m only going because of some people insisting that I attend, or else it will be rude.”

“Ah I see,” he said with a tiny smile.

After another fifteen minutes, the taxi signalled left slotting in behind a car decorated with baby pink and white ribbons, I grimaced at the sight of it.

I pulled out my blue purse and handed the driver a twenty “Keep the change.” I muttered miserably.

“Try to enjoy yourself.” He said to me cheerily. I scowled as I turned to walk towards the tall building. It was very silent; I tried to look around and frowned when I couldn’t see a single soul.

I walked past the fresh greenery and the beautiful flowers that were in every colour and many varieties. I caught sight of a red flower that I’d not seen before, however as soon as I dipped my nose into the bush to catch a sniff, a buzzing bee emerging sent me rearing back, I took hold of a branch nearest to me to steady myself and yelped as my skin scraped roughly across the sharp bark.

I quickly looked around to see if anyone had spotted my misfortune and let out a sigh of relief as the grounds were empty. I walked back up the path I had come from trying to find signs that would locate me to reception.

After ten minutes of navigation I stumbled across a door that read reception, smiling I strode up to the door. I placed my door on the handle and pushed, I frowned when it didn’t budge.

“I believe that the sign reads pull.”

I gasped and stepped back. That voice.

 That voice belonged to none other than the famous Elijah.

~~~~~ Hope you liked it! ~~~~~