18: Leaving

Alice fluttered her eyes open, and immediately she sees a green figure right in front of her. She opens her eyes wide and realizes that she woke to the sound of him breathing. Raphael was a heavy sleeper and sort of a mild snorer, too. She didn't mind. She chuckled at the sight of the tired turtle in front of her. She smiled then caressed his cold cheek.

This turtle, she thought, how weirdly perfect.

One night we were taunting each other, the next, we were falling in love. How weird.

Alice laughed at the thought of Raphael on the rooftop on the very first time they met. She remembered how tough he sounded. She remembered how he was so overbearing.

And now, he's lying down beside her, completely vulnerable in her presence. She giggled, unable to hide it. Finally, the turtle opened his eyes slightly, trying to figure out if he's still dreaming. Alice rests her elbow on the mattress to look closer into Raphael's eyes. Once he opened them and saw the beautiful ray of light peering through her hair then made out Alice's beautiful facial features, he woke up right away.

"Rise and shine." Alice whispered sweetly, almost teasing him.

The turtle sighed and gazed at her face, "You're shining as well."

She playfully slapped his chest and he barely flinched. "What? You look beautiful."

Alice looked at the creature in front of her. Talking to her and paying her compliments she loved hearing. She never felt flattered when people did compliment her in the past--she cringed at it. But when it comes out of Raphael's mouth, it's as if her heart beats louder and pumps faster. She feels a tickling sensation, even. She could not help it. The turtle would not stop staring at her.

She leaned in and kissed him again. When she pulled away, Raphael spoke in a low voice, "I wish I could stay here forever."

Suddenly, he realized. Raphael jolted up and scanned the room, looking for a clock. When he saw Alice's phone on the counter, he grabs it to try to see what time it was. 

It was already five past nine AM. His brothers must be looking for him.

"I--I have to go." He began looking for his garments. When he found them on the floor, quickly, he put them back on. As he jiggled and wriggled into his clothes, his eyes glanced at Alice who was sitting on the bed. She looked upset. But when they caught eyes, she immediately forced herself to smile.

Raphael noticed this. Slowly, he stopped and walked over to her. Raphael crouched on the floor right in front of the edge of the bed where Alice sat. She looked down at the turtle between her legs. Raphael reached for her hands and passionately, he planted a kiss behind them. "What's wrong?" He knew what, but he had to ask.

She shook her head. Raphael sighed. "Is it because I'm leaving too early?"

She nodded, her eyes welling up. This poor thing, he thought. She looked so...weak. How could she be so adorable?

"I'm sorry. I don't want you to think that I'm leaving you just like that after we...we..."

Alice sighed, "I just wish you could stay."

"I want to, but I can't, Alice. You have no idea how much I want to be here every single day and not just during the night."

Alice watched him speak to her, explaining himself. She knew how it was that's why she did not want to say anything. But it was too hard to keep in. Alice wanted Raphael with her. But that could not be possible for Raphael had company back home. They would definitely not allow that, especially because Raphael's purpose in the city is simple and far from what she had in mind.