14- Thin Ice

I wake up to a group of campers standing around me. They are all wearing snow suits and coats, buddle up with their noses red while shivering.

And here I am laying in a pile of snow with a t-shirt and shorts.

See, colds has never bothered me. I could be submerged in negative temperatures for days, and be totally fine. But they don’t know that. They can’t know that. They must think I have hyperthermia or something because each one is wearing a very concerned expression. 

I play the part.

I bring my arms to cover my chest and will my body to begin to shiver. That’s when I notice the snow stained blood around me, and curse to myself. Then I see my hands and almost jump for joy. Somehow the snow must’ve cleaned the blood off them for good. No more warm liquid on my palms.

Nothing left to connect me to Celia.

It’s Frank and Percy who help me up. They sling a fluffy blanket around me, wrapping me into a cocoon. They shove me into the middle of them and hold on to me tight, I guess trying to warm me up.

“Chase! Holy cow, girl! You must be freezing! Piper said you never came back to your cabin last night! Everyone was really worried!” Percy exclaims as we walk.

I make my teeth chatter. “I-I- don’t know h-how I ended up out here.”

Frank looks at me in concern then at Percy. “We should take her to the infirmary.”

“No!” I protest. I don’t need the infirmary, I’d rather be out here, in my snow.  “I’m fine, guys. Just a l-little cold.” They don’t look convinced and bring me into the Big House anyway.  

It’s flaming hot inside and both Percy and Frank take off all their layers of clothing until they are in a t-shirt. A fire burns in the fireplace and campers are scattered around drinking hot chocolate.

“How do you suppose all that snow got here?” I ask trying to be casual, and still trying to play off hyperthermia. I bring the blanket closer to my face and try to hide the sweat trickling down my forehead.

It’s Frank who answers. “No idea. Everyone just woke up and snow was everywhere! Chiron has something that controls the temperature here and apparently no one tampered with it. The wildest thing? The device Is frozen solid. No way anyone could have done that!”

Percy is shaking his head. “Something’s off, you know. The only conclusion I can-, or I mean Annabeth, came up with is that the goddess Khione is messing with us.”

I try not to choke on my spit.

“Why would Khione do such a thing?”

“No idea. Probably trying to flick us before she pushes us.”

Frank and I both share a confused look as we stare at Percy.

He rolls his eyes in response. “I mean this is just a small thing, ya know. Something simple that nobody would take as a threat. Like the wind before the storm. The wind is all smooth and stuff, then the storm is huge.”

Frank is rubbing his chin. “That’s actually not a bad theory.”

Percy grins. “I’m pretty smart, huh?”

Frank laughs and pats his shoulder. “You keep saying that.”

After double checking to make sure I’m ok, Percy leaves the Big House to go tell Annabeth of his theory. He said he was going to work out a plan to make sure everyone stays safe, leaving Frank and I alone.

I shift awkwardly in the red chair. Frank sits across from me, fiddling with his coffee mug. I need to ask him.

“So, Frank,” I start, choosing my words carefully. “Have you and Hazel made up?” I haven’t seen Hazel around camp, I don’t believe she has came out of her cabin in a long time.