Terrible Things

Leo sat next to his father. He wondered why he had called him up so suddenly with much worry in his voice. His father sighed and began to talk. "By the time I was your age, I'd give anything to fall in love truly, was all I could think. That's when I met your mother, the girl of my dreams. The most beautiful woman, that I'd ever seen" Leo nodded.  He knew little about his real mother. He didn't mind much because of the misery he saw in his dad's eyes when he mentioned her. His father continued. "I wanted to tell you now before you find a girl of your own who makes you happy." FLASHBACK

In a bar....

He stared with compassion at the young women. His friend tapped his shoulder.

"Come on Derek! Snap out of it! What are you staring at?" Derek shook his head and returned into the real world.

"Sorry, it nothing." As he said that, the beautiful women he was staring at walked over. 

"Boy can I tell you a wonderful thing? I can't help but notice, you're staring at me." Derek blushed slightly. "I know I shouldn't say this, but I really believe, I can tell by your eyes that you're in love with me" She smiles and sits beside Derek as he is thoroughly embarrassed.

"Oh, sorry. Maybe I could buy you a drink for forgiveness?" She laughed and agreed to his offer.  PRESENT   

The son was interested about the story and he listened closely. "What does this story mean?", Leo thought.  "Now most of the time, we'd had too much to drink and we'd laugh at the stars and we'd share everything. We were too young to notice, and too dumb to care. Love was a story, that couldn't compare."

FLASHBACK

6 months later....  

Derek and Sarah sat on the grass and watched the beautiful stars glisten in the sky. They looked at each other and smiled. Derek talked first, "Girl, can I tell you a wonderful thing?" She nodded and listened closely. He continued.  "I made you a present with paper and string. Open with care now, I'm asking you, please." Ge kneeled and pulled out a ring. "You know that I love you, will you marry me?" 

PRESENT  

He stopped and took a deep breath. "Now son, I'm only telling you this... Because life, can do terrible things. You'll learn, one day, I'll hope and I'll pray that God, shows you differently." FLASHBACK

Proposal....  

Sarah's happiness faded saying, "Boy can I tell you, a terrible thing?" Her voice cracked as she talked. "It seems that I'm sick and I've only got weeks. Please, don't be sad now, I really believe You were the greatest thing that ever happened to me"

PRESENT  

"Slow, so slow, I fell to the ground, on my knees. The pain over came me and I couldn't feel anything." Leo's eyes began to water hearing the news of his father. All of his father's depression came out all at once. "So don't fall in love, there's just too much to lose. If given the choice, then, I'm begging you, choose. To walk away and, don't let her get you. I can't bear to see the same happen to you." Leo's father stopped and said the last words of the conversation.  "Now son, I'm only telling you this... Because life, can do terrible things"

~~

This story was made from a song called Terrible Things by Mayday Parade