Chapter Eight

Hunter

     I smile as Jasper leads me into a coffee shop. I smile as he grabs my hand and kisses my knuckles. Just like old times... I kiss his and we sit in a booth. "Not shy about showing that we're gay?"

     "I just sometimes need space..."

     "Did I do something to upset you or did someone upset you-"

     "No...I just have started to get claustrophobic and you really surprised me...I was just overwhelmed and so happy...the nightmare I had...it was about you. I dreamt about losing you and I never want that to happen."

     "Jasper, I don't want that to happen, but you don't need to worry about that right now because we're doing good. We aren't going to break up anytime soon..."

     He nods and squeezes my hands. "Thank you."

     I nod. "Let's order then have an amazing day."

     I listen as Jasper explains that the cafe was there since 1960 and thought it was a special place. I stop when I see a tiny animal near the curb. "Jazz, look."

     He looks at the animal and gasps as he walks over.

     "Careful." I say as I follow him. I watch as Jazz takes off his jacket and wraps up the puppy as he picks him up. I take it in my arms and look at him. "We need to take him to a vet-"

     "Let's just get him cleaned up first then call a vet." He leads me back to his house and we wash the puppy in the big kitchen sink. 

     I keep washing the dog and Jazz gets towels. I wrap it up and start to dry him off. I hand it to Jasper. "Now rub the towel up his back...there." I put an arm around him and kiss his head as I ruffle his hair. "He looks so scrawny..." I mumble.

     Jasper nods and finds some turkey. "Here..." He comes back over and tries to feed him a tiny piece. He grins when the puppy nibbles on it.

     I smile and rub the pup's back as he eats. "When should we call the vet?"

     "Now would be good..." He pets the dog with a smile.

     I go to the other room and call a vet to see when office hours are. I come back after hanging up and touch the small of his back. "Let's go." I kiss his forehead when he nods with a sad look. I borrow Dylan's car and drive to the vet.

     He holds the dog on his lap and hesitates when we arrive.

    "C'mon..." I help him out of the car. "I love that you're short, just so you know." I put an arm around him as we bring the pup into the vet and wait.

     I hold Jasper as he cries in my arms. "Shh..."

     We were in front of the car which was parked outside the house of the owner and we found out that the puppy had cancer.

     "Let's go home, okay?" I rub his back as he sobs. "Let's go..." I get him in the car and drive home. I lead him inside and hug him tightly. "I know..."

     He starts crying again and holds onto me. "That...p-p-poor puppy..."

     "Shh...he'll be okay..."

     He let's out a shuttering sob before relaxing and calming down. "Hunter..."

     "Yes, baby?" 

     "Can we-" *hiccup* "-just cuddle and spend time-" *hiccup* "-with each other?"

     "Of course, Jasper..." I pick him up and he wraps his legs around my waist and I carry him to the couch. I sit down and he snuggles closer as he puts his head on my chest. "I love you."

     "I love you too."