Chapter Five

Hunter

     I look up when I hear movement to see Jasper looking around. "Hey..."

     He looks at me and looks worried.

     "You're in the hospital, Jasper."

     He nods and looks at his hands.

     "How are you feeling?"

     "Tired...like I've slept for years..."

     "They had to knock you out with some medicine. You wouldn't wake up from the dream...you were...stuck."

     "I was so scared, Hunter...I couldn't run...I couldn't do anything and I-I-"

     I get up and hold him to my chest. "It's okay, baby...I'm here, okay? I want to keep you safe." I whisper as I rub his back.

     He sobs into my chest and holds onto my shirt.

     "I will protect you to the best of my abilities...you just have to trust me."

     He keeps crying and Tina comes in, silent.

     I look up as I play with his hair. "He's okay." I watch her leave again and I sit next to him on the bed. "I love you and I'm here if you ever want to talk about the night terrors okay?"

     He nods and sniffles. "Thank you..."

     "We'll get you out of here soon, okay?"

     "I'm fine to stay for another day...maybe it'll be good for me."

     "Jazz-"

     "I'm serious, Hunter. It's getting worse and I don't want to endanger myself...I hate wasting our time, but one night won't harm me."

     I nod. "Okay." I kiss his forehead and sigh. "Your family will probably want to see you." I get up and leave the room. I sit down and sigh as I rub my face. I hope his nightmares will go away... I realize tears are rolling down my cheeks and someone is holding me while I cry. I hug who I finally notice is Lucas and he comforts me.

     "Lucas, go say hi to Jae..." Dylan says and sits next to me with a hand on my back. "You've been holding back."

     "It's weird to cry in front of your boyfriend-"

     "No it's not...especially not Jasper. He loves you, Hunter. You know that."

     I don't say anything, surprised by his little lecture.

     "We're gonna clear out and set up the house for you guys and you can go have a serious talk, okay?"

     I nod and wipe away my tears, but Dylan stops me.

     "He won't judge you, okay?" He sighs when I don't answer. "Take care of him, please." He gets up and clears the family out.

     I go into Jazz's room and stand in the doorway.

     "I thought you left." Jasper smiles at me.

     "No...we need to talk." I sit on his bed and look at him. "I worry about you so much, Jasper..."

     "I know and I appreciate your worry, but you don't-"

     "Don't tell me not to worry. I heard you haven't been sleeping well and that's very concerning. I want you to take care of yourself." I take his hand and he pulls away. "Jasper, don't do this right now."

     He goes quiet.

     "Jazz..."

     He looks away and fiddles with his necklace.

     "Jasper, look at me so we can talk."

     He glances at me before looking directly into my eyes. "Why do you worry so much? I've been missing you and you got mad because I didn't call you for a couple days."

     "Why have you been out of it? Answer that. I got mad because I knew you wanted to talk, but you didn't."

     He tears up and sighs.

    I take his hand and he doesn't pull away. "Hey...what's going on?" I scoot closer when he goes silent again. "Jasper, what has been making you pull away from me? From us. From our relationship that we have worked so hard to keep together..."

     "I..." He squeezes my hand. "I've been questioning myself...my friend keeps pressuring me into getting a girlfriend."

     "Does he not know you're gay or in a relationship?"

     "He knows I'm in a long distance relationship...just not with a guy..."

     I pet his cheek. "You need to talk to me about these things..." I peck his lips and press my forehead against his. "You need to tell people about your situation if you're stressed out by the topic..."

     He searches my eyes, not finding what he wants. "I can call him to come up here..."

     I nod. "Okay...I'm right here." I kiss him again, but longer. I pull away when there's a knock on the door by a doctor. "Give me your phone. What's his name?" I say as he hands me his phone.

     "Shawn."

     I leave the room while the doctor checks up on him. I open his messages and see something suspicious, but just text him to rush to the hospital and the room floor and number. I go back inside once the doctor finishes and hand Jazz his phone. "Not to be nosy, but I saw some messages without scrolling up..."

     Jasper shows me the messages with a small smile.

               Shawn: I think you'll like the girl I

                                found for you!

               Jasper: I don't think so...

               Shawn: What's the problem?

               Jasper: I don't want it to go anywhere.

               Shawn: Don't want your girl to find out?

               Jasper: That's not the problem.

               Shawn: Then what?

               Jasper: I don't want to talk about this

                                right now.

     I smile and mess up his hair. "So loyal. I love you."

     "And I love you."

Author's Note

     I didn't put dates and times for the messages above because it's not important and there's no need. Liking it so far? It gets better!